Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out a way to go stroker and get away cheap. .. ish.

If I get a BC 94mm crank and a thicker HG, can I get away with it or is there a possibility that the piston rings on would come up past the block?

I know it's ghetto, but I'm not in the MK4 arena . .. I'm in the Cressida playing field. We bring new meaning to the word ghetto; we jack S13s for there coilovers :D

BTW I am sorry if this has been covered. I'd use the search button if it was avaible. :(

Cheers,

Jago

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
No, you would have to get the pistons with the correct pin locations.

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OOOHHHH ok, it's the pin's height that gives various compressions. Thanks.

Looked into the differences between the kits some more and came up with another question .. . what is the difference between locks and oil rail supports? And what's a button?

------------------------------------------

Would MVP consider selling lower comp pistons at 86mm bore? I like to avoid the extra task of bore the block.

Also, I kinda don't understand the advantange of the 3.3 kit. 6,824.00 is more than the 3.4 kit which you could order the pistons 86mm anyway. I am lost here. Does it have something to do with the "Typically includes aluminum buttons/rail supports (not locks)" ?

Cheers,

Jago

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to Dusty and they can separate the 86mm lower comp pistons out of the BC 3.3 kit. But $1124 is a lot more than the $733 for the 20 over CP pistons and for what I don't know. Seems like it's like other businesses, they want to buy the more expensive yet better "deal". I know thats business, but it still sucketh.

I am going to look into other pistons, I just need them as strong as stock so may be I will find some at a lower price.

Cheers,

Jago

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
The CP pistons for the stroker kits cost more because they are not "shelf stock" pistons. They are considered special order. JE, Wiseco, and Ross are all the same way. Custom order pistons always cost hundreds more.

You also pay extra for the largest wrist pin CP offers, made out of the most expensive and strongest metal they can make them out of.

I can not say it is good advice to cut corners on building a motor!

Regards,

Dusty

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dusty,

I understand the one off bit. I was not thinking 1300hp though so I didn't think of it as cutting corners . .. esp since stock rods hold 800hp no probs, which is still above my power goals. I guess since they are fairly one off they could be ordered with stock sized wrist pins.

In the end, I would concur that cutting corners would probably lead to extra head aches, which could very well out weigh the $ saved.

Again thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Jago

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Thanks Dusty,

I understand the one off bit. I was not thinking 1300hp though so I didn't think of it as cutting corners . .. esp since stock rods hold 800hp no probs, which is still above my power goals. I guess since they are fairly one off they could be ordered with stock sized wrist pins.

In the end, I would concur that cutting corners would probably lead to extra head aches, which could very well out weigh the $ saved.

Again thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Jago
Just so you know, it absolutely is cutting corners. 800hp is still a ton of horsepower. Don't go cheap. If you want to go cheap, buy a fox body and keep it under 600hp so you don't crack the block down the lifter valley.

You need to go to your engine builder (I hope you're not planning on doing it yourself) and have him explain to you the topic of compression height.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts