Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 1 of the cheapy 4" eBay fmic's for a project and, of course, it didn't come w/ the bolts and brackets to install :rolleyes: Does anyone know what bolt size and thread pitch fit the holes? Any install tips/tricks would be appreciated as well :)
Thanks.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
They are M8's, forget what thread pitch though.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
If I am not wrong and the thread is M8 then the pitch is usually 1.5mm..
I think these are as hard to get in the States as inch screws over here;)

Prepare yourselve for a tricky installation, especially on the driver side. There you need a 180° ellbow.. then a direct 90° upwards ellbow..

Gerd

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I don't like that 180 elbow comment though....I just bought a damn pipe kit and of course there's no freakin' 180's in it.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
90 + 90 = 180....

your local Home Depot or good hardware store has the fasteners, we use metric all the time here in the states, we're not snobs like the EU. ;)

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
98mkiv said:
90 + 90 = 180....
QUOTE]
Yah, yah :rofl: I was just hoping to keep the cutting to a minimum.. This fmic must be wider than I thought.
Thanks again.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
98mkiv said:
90 + 90 = 180....

your local Home Depot or good hardware store has the fasteners, we use metric all the time here in the states, we're not snobs like the EU. ;)
C´mon, we are no snobs here;) I mean I am even confused when it comes to wrench sizes like 12/16 and whatever...I know, it´s not a big deal when U R used to it but for beginners like me....sheesh.. :bowdown:

And obviously I was wrong with the pitch :rolleyes:

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm.....thread title changed from "Ebay" to "Cheapbay" :wtflol: , I guess someone w/ some authority prefers it this way :bowdown:
Anyway, thanks for the answers guys :)
BTW, anyone have any suggestions for cutting stainless steel fmic pipes? Hacksaw, reciprocating saw, circular saw, etc?

·
Recovering Supraholic
550 Posts
Miter saw with the proper cutting wheel, is the cleanest cut . Be carefull since you might have to play with the saw's shroud. I did my own pipes last winter and almost lost a thumb (was not carefull) :ugh2: 6 stiches

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
I used that cutoff wheel, and it's great but if you don't have it a reciprocating saw with a metal blade works 2nd best. cheap too.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK guys....I'm back w/ another question. I picked up the bolts, thanks. But now I need the brackets to mount the fmic. What are you using for this and where did you get it?
Thanks again.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
You can use some simple zinc plated steel brackets of home depot or similar. With my IC came four brackets 2 for the upper side with a 90° angle and on the lower side you can use simple straight brackets and screw it into already existing holes with threads

Gerd

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
I used aluminum plate 1"w, 5"L, .250" thick. Used the OE holes on the upper frame and drilled into the lower rad support (careful you don't pierce the condenser :crossfingers: )

·
Banned
624 Posts
fledis said:
Hmmmm.....thread title changed from "Ebay" to "Cheapbay" :wtflol: , I guess someone w/ some authority prefers it this way :bowdown:
Anyway, thanks for the answers guys :)
BTW, anyone have any suggestions for cutting stainless steel fmic pipes? Hacksaw, reciprocating saw, circular saw, etc?
makes it harder to search
:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts