Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cheapest price I found to buy a stock OEM turbo tranny clutch disk was $68.86. Is there any other vendor online or not that is less than that? Thanks

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
auto zone has the clutch disc for $20-30. disc for an 85 supra fits any manual trans supra from 82-92 turbo or n/a.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh i forgot to mention its for the r154 tranny (87 supra). will the disc for the 85 supra hold up to the power? since it is from two different models

·
Registered
620 Posts
Make sure you check the disk before you buy it. If it has rubber dampers instead of metal coil springs (and if it's from Autozone, that's highly likely) do not get it,

The clutch disk for the R154 and W58 are the same.

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
yup, discs are the same, the disc i got had springs in it, although that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so can the older gen supra clutch disks fit? It would be cheaper to buy them then for the 3rd gen if they are the same.

I have a question for the flywheel bolts also. In the swap conversion I bought there was a bolt missing. Do I need a special bolt? or can i just go buy one that will screw in.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
yes you need special flywheel bolts. go to toyota

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oops the link doesnt work well its a valucraft clutch disk for a 1987 supra non turbo. The part # is CP1062 and it weighs 3.45 pounds.

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
how much is it? the one for the mkii is ~$20-30. anyhow. n/a's use the w58 from 82-98 the turbos use r154 from 87-92. all the discs are interchangeable. the rubber bushings dryrot and crumble and cause problems. get it with springs.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
dont get the cheap autozone shit. Talk to Curt Aigner from elmhurst.... he can get me the disk for 54.... and a complete clutch (pp, disk, bearings) for 150. All OEM and not that knock-off shit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
jin-chuu said:
why shouldnt i get the ones with rubber dampers? i heard the only difference is the shifting which the springs shift a little smoother.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=O001&UserAction=parseShoppingCart&Parameters=CLUTCH+DISC=870774=6998$_

^~~~that is the link for the N/A supra clutch disk, so that will work for the r154 tranny right?

Lot bigger difference... not trying to sound like a smartass, but one is a ovoid rubber cylinder with two aluminum retaining washers on the end, the other is a steel spring.

Both are subject to the same heat, compression and even tension... however the rubber will fail a lot sooner than the steel.

If one fails, you're basically hosed right there.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
I can't remember where i saw this but the clutches that toyota sells can also be found only for half the price or something. You just need to know the company that makes them for toyota...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Hmm, I wonder why other car enthusiasts (especially mk4 dudes) think MK3 guys are cheap....

Clutch is a very fundamental part, get QUALITY, not CHEAPNESS. Buy the Toyota one for a few bucks more.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I made the very instructional mistake of getting one of the cheapo ones (not knowing WTH I was doing really) four years ago and all of the rubber busted up and I had washers flying around in my bell housing and jamming up the release fork. That was a week of driving on a stock 88T. Fun fun!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahh well i went with the stocker aisin one for 50$ it had the spring type dampeners so yeahh. Autozone had one for 15.99 but i doubt it had spring type dampeners. should i replace the pilot bearing also while im at it? or can i grab the one from my auto tranny. (this is for the 5-spd swap). Oh yeah is the clutch fork for the w58 and the r154 the same?

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
I saw the MkIII Birdie fly by my screen when I read this post. He chirped: "Cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap."

The damn thing was bugging the shi+ out of me, so I killed it.

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
my autozone disc had spring type dampers, i put over 20k miles on it before the 5m came out, no problems at all. and an organic disc with springs is an organic disc with springs brand name isnt gonna change that. obviously your stock if your buying a stock clutch. if you guys like spending more money just so you can say you have the brand name be my guest. i got my 4 puck clutch built locally for $130. cant see paying $500+ for a spec or like. the pp can be moded for more pressure if i ever need it for $170 so $300 for a no name clutch that hjolds the same as a $500+unit. why waste money? theres a diff between being cheap and just being smart on how you spend.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
williamb82 said:
..... obviously your stock if your buying a stock clutch. if you guys like spending more money just so you can say you have the brand name be my guest. i got my 4 puck clutch built locally for $130. cant see paying $500+ for a spec or like. the pp can be moded for more pressure if i ever need it for $170 so $300 for a no name clutch that hjolds the same as a $500+unit. why waste money? theres a diff between being cheap and just being smart on how you spend.
1st of all:
YOUR ≠ YOU'RE

2nd of all, saying " obviously stock if buying a stock clutch" is assuming too much. Plenty of people use stock clutches on modded MkIIIs.

3rd of all, if a $300 no-name clutch works for you, great. People who actually spend $500 or more on known-good clutches will likely not share your opinion. Your option sounds more like an experiment, & swapping out clutches [for the average person] is too much work to experiment on clutches to save a few bucks.

Have a great day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts