Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

heres what has happened. I have had the car off the road for a little over a year now because I was saving for my wedding that out of the way. I put the car back on today. while off the road I kept it jacked up and on a trickle. I also started it about once a month.

I took it out today for the 1st time and at first only the airbag light was on. I took the dash apart so I was not worried I just have to reset it.
After driving for 5 min the blue smoke stopped. I did not get on it at all. on the way home the check engine light and the trac light went on.

Can you guys tell me what I need to do to get the car ready to drive. break in and flushes etc.

And what should I check for for those two lights. the search button on my computer is not working.
thanks
matt
:sadwavey:

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got home and have been searching. I need to check my codes but I have no Idea how to do that. I found the page on mkiv.com that has the codes but I dont know how to check them.
that is probably a good place to start

M

·
0 Posts
Pop your hood, look in your engine bay. Top left, there's a small little black box called the DIAGNOSTIC BOX (somethin like that, can't remember exactly). Open it up, and locate the E1 and TE1 ports. Jump a wire in between those ports and leave it there. Get in the car, turn the key to the ACC position, and watch how many times your MIL blinks. Say it blinks 4 times, then a pause, then 3 times. That's code 43. See what code you get and go from there.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled out the fuse to reset everything. and drove the car for twenty minutes last night
i didnot get on it much at all. the check engine light did not go back on but the trac light
stayed on.

I feel stupid saying this but what do you mean by jump a wire between the two ports.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found the dig box and the two ports you were talking about e1 and te1 and ran a wire
from e1 to te1 and put the car's ignit on acc. i was watching the check engine indi and it was flashing but it was not stopping.
i just gave it an oil change and both lights are not coming on. I am taking it out again
tonight so i'll see if it comes back on.

later and thanks
matt

M

·
0 Posts
you gotta watch for pauses. It may be saying the same code. 4 blinks, then a slight pause, then 3 blinks, then a longer pause, then 4 blinks again, then slight pause, then 3 blinks, etc.

That's just showing you code 43. Read up MKIV on checking codes, man.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Matt glad to see you have her back out on the road.. if I was still up in the NJ area I would no doubt be over your place trying to help you sort out the gremlins. Try to do what Mark is suggesting, let us know what else you can come up with. Is the smoke constant? Or is it more liek a vavle stem seal smoke? Either way Im glad to know that you have the car out enjoying it again!

·
Banned
400 Posts
hey all im new to the board but i have the same isue heres mine

i bought teh car and the engine light and trac light are on, when i disconnect the batterie there off, after driving for 20 min or so they both come back on..

when there both on the trac control button dosnt work, but when there off the trac control works.

what would cause this?

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is what happened to me.
it might just need to be reset because as noted the car was off the road. i think the seals and senors just needed to be used again. i reset them and nothing has comeon since.

you can reset them by pulling the fuse out.
-if you are facing the the engine from the front of the car.
-open the fuse box on the right
-in the middle row of fuses they will be a set of small fuses.
-you want to pull the next to the last small one (so it should be the 2nd small one from the driver's seat going forward.
-put it back in and go on a short ride.
-see what happens. if it come on again i would def do the diag test.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
It is the fact the solder points went bad in your dash display. Remove it and resolder the points and all will be well . Do a search on it there is a thread on how to do it.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
egr i need a resister i have the block off plates.
is that why my trac light is staying on too or is that something else

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
nj94supratt said:
I pulled out the fuse to reset everything. and drove the car for twenty minutes last night
i didnot get on it much at all. the check engine light did not go back on but the trac light
stayed on.

Is your trac fuse in? OK?

·
JZ Enthusiast
3,010 Posts
hey guys beffore i had the EGR code 71 ive installed the resistor from radio shack everything were fine for 5 months but from a week since now the egr code is coming again ! so wierd ! i replaced the resistor with new one and still getting that annoying code from time to time plus i wanna do a full remove for the EGR but got no time PLUS this problem accured after i played in hoses in the rear of the engine !?

anyone inlight me would be greatful ,

ali

1 - 20 of 25 Posts