Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been dealing with this CEL code for a bit on my 97 TT Supra. It used to be auto and I did the 5 speed swap. The CEL code is P0500. I know its a VSS code. I have been trying the various fixes suggested on this site to no avail. The odometer counts fine, cluster works fine so I am at a bit of a loss. I did the cold solder joint method and wire splice of the harness and no luck. Has anyone actually been able to solve this and how? I have read alot of threads on here where other members had this issue but never really followed up with a resolution. If I could get some help that would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did by cleaning all the metal shards off the VSS sensors on the rear brakes. You try that? VSS' are magnets
I wasnt aware the rear brakes had VSS Sensors. That I know of there are only 2 VSS on the Supra Mkiv and none have to do with the brakes?

·
Registered
945 Posts
They plug into the axles right by the calipers I believe its just a 10mm nut, my supra definitely has them, fronts were lubed and clean but rears are not and were covered in metal. Cleaned those off and fixed my problem right away

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Be careful removing vss sensors. They can get rusted into the hub and are IMPOSSIBLE to remove without destroying them if this happens. If you remove the locking nut and the sensor doesn't come out with minimal persuasion, weigh it out whether or not what you are doing is worth a new sensor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, guess I am going to have to give that a shot and I will report back with results. If you guys could provide pics that would be great that way I can find where I should be looking on the brakes. Thanks

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If your odometer and speedometer work, I see no point in diagnosing the actual VSS at the hub. You are getting a speed signal. It just isn't making it back from the odometer to the ecu. Its as simple as that.

·
Registered
945 Posts
V, there is one per side, I just checked and in the brake manual it's page BR-49 that shows where it is

Cwtt, my speedo worked no problem and I had the VSS code. Not saying this is the issue but it takes less then 5 mins to check

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks I will try and check it out tomorrow after work. From the brake manual it looks like it has two in the front and two ion the rear. Yes I will have to be careful as these sensors cost $200+ a pop.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
All you need to do is clean the exterior. A shop towel is generally adequate. You can use degreaser or brake cleaner if you want but the important thing is just to get any metal off the sensor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I cleaned the rears off with rubbing alcohol. I cleared the CEL and drove it to grab some food and no CEL so far. I will have to take the car to work tomorrow to drive it some more hoping the light does not come back on. I also checked the fronts but those were lubed up. I was curious why are the fronts lubricated and not the rears?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i will giggle if this fixes the problem.....and then ill be doing the same lol
Well Brando, sorry to burst your bubble and my own at that. CEL came back on today on my way to work. Even though I haven't checked what the code is for it is most certainly the same bullshit. I swear I am done trying to get this crap to go away. I mean the car runs fine and all but this shit is just messing with me. Supra seems to be in charge here :|

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Those VSS sensors you were looking at are for the ABS/TRAC system. I'm pretty confident the speed signal comes from the transmission, to the odometer and then is passed on to the ECU. Since your odometer is working we know there is some type of break between the odometer and the ecu. This is also a very common problem and easily fixed.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Well Brando, sorry to burst your bubble and my own at that. CEL came back on today on my way to work. Even though I haven't checked what the code is for it is most certainly the same bullshit. I swear I am done trying to get this crap to go away. I mean the car runs fine and all but this shit is just messing with me. Supra seems to be in charge here :|
Lol. This is like my lean code 25. I'm about to pull the cel bulb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts