Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have an 87 Supra turbo, and well Its great, fast, but... whenever my check engine light goes on it sorta goes hella slow all of a sudden. When I turn off the car, let it sit for a while, it goes back to normal, but at least 1 time PER TRIP I DRIVE THE SUPRA, it goes on and the car all of a sudden cant beat an integra, but before the check engine light, I can beat supercharged camaros.

Let me re-explain this :). In the begining when I just warmed up the car its fine and fast. Later on as i'm driving(i comute to work, and school) maybe 10-20 minutes into my drive the check engine light goes on and its slow... any ideas?? or has this happen to anyone?

One more question :)... my "radiator" light is always on but my car runs fine?? like I have plenty of coolant, my engine never over heats... but that damn light is always on.. Assuming its the radiator light (the light on the FAR left of the gauge that looks like a little intercooler)

Thanks alot guys

Josh

·
Knockin the rod in slopra
811 Posts
erm..... the check engine light does not bog performance... thats as stupid as the NOS sticker adding 50hp.... check your codes dude.. the light's on for a reason... ............it wants to tell you something.. listen to it.. and the light on the far left corner looks like the lincoln memorial building

·
Gripless EGO
81 Posts
ok ur car might not be overheating but u might have a leak in one of ur hoses which could make ur birdcage light come on. check ur engine codes it will tell u wats wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
1) the check engine light probably comes on from bad knock sensors or wiring in that circuit...sounds like you need a rewire....but check the code to be sure.

2) have you looked in your OVERFLOW bottle to see if THATS fulls? cause the sensor for that indicator light is in the overflow bottle NOT the radiator itself. so check that ill bet its low.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
check the codes!!!!

it could be any number of problems, the codes will help figure out what is wrong, as I could speculate what it could be for ages...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I filled up that resivior.. little house intercooler whatever light for the radiator is off.. NOW the check engine light is still on, but I'm pretty sure it is the knock sensor.. Guess I'll get a new one. Also another light is now on??? its the one that has the birds eye view of a car, and lines coming out of the rear of the car? whats that mean?

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Have you pulled the codes like everyone has been saying? That will tell all. Sounds like once the car gets to normal operating temps the light comes on. I also wouldn't be running camaros or integras with that light on. I wouldn't be running ANYBODY until you at least find out what codes you have

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
If you have not checked your codes and you are pretty sure it's the knock sensor and you're going to get a new one, you should probably also get an O2 sensor and an AFM. Those are pretty good to replace without checking codes.

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
knock sensor rewire and mustang o2 wouldn't hurt. But why replace the afm? Kinda pricey especially if it's not the problem. You also have the option of putting that lexus afm too

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
heh, he was being sarcastic because he (as well as myself) is tired of people not checking codes, jumping to conclusions, buying new parts when that specific part is not the problem, and when they install that new part, the same problem exists because they were too damn lazy to check the codes. it takes 1 minute to check them. take the damn time to do it. :rolleyes:

when your car is TELLING you what's wrong with it and you're not listening to it, then you deserve no help whatsoever.

-shaeff

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Lol, damn that makes me feel better. I agree 100% especially when all it takes to check these codes is a paper clip.... It's not like we have OBDII

1 - 14 of 14 Posts