Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Here's the scenario: Upon starting the car or turning the key to the 'On' position, the Check Engine Light doesn't come at all. I'm pretty certain its not the bulb becasue my Trac/ Check Engine lights come on sometimes during driving after the car's been sitting outside on a real hot day. Now that the weather has cooled off I haven't seen either light lately.

The main problem resulted from this: I failed SMOG due to the technicality of the light not coming on at startup. The emissions were spic-n-span clean with the Random 9000 Hi-flo/DP.

So what would cause the light to not come on at startup, but occasionally when the weather is hot?

My mods: Intake filter, hardpipes, HKS SS BOV (to atmosphere), FMIC, Hi-flo cat/DP, cat-back exh., Superchips ECU chip (bought the car with that). No EGR mod, or TTC, or boost control.

Any help or ideas would be great, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pull that section of youre dash (where the check engine light is located) and check the solder joints where the connector attaches to the circut board, I have seen the solder joints break and cause interminent no check engine light. If this is the case use a low watt solder iron and add a very small amount of rosin core solder to each pin solder joint.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I read about that and am going to check it. Anyone ever have this problem that WASN'T the soldering? Just wondering if it might be a screwed sensor or something. And where specifically is the MIL light? I've never tested for trouble codes before. Thanks again.

M

·
0 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Passed everything else, except the Check Engine light. It was the solder joint. I guess the previous owner who added aftermarket gauges pushed the connector in one too many times, and the solder came off on the other side. Just open it up, and resolder all of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:sad:

Glad you mentioned the previous owner messing with the dash. The previous owner of my car installed a boost gauge where the left vent was...I will go in and re-solder it all and post the results. Thanks guys.:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts