Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does replace the check engine light bulb on a 1994 Supra? I assume the dash needs dismantling? Does anyone know where detailed procedures might be?
thanks.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
The orange light in the left telltale module? Remove 5 screws from the "hood" dash panel. Pull the top edge slightlyl down and straight back toward you. Detach 2 wiring connectors on the right side, and one on the left side. You can see the back of the bulb now. It may just need to be reseated. The copper contacts get worn/dented/dirty over time. Use a pencil eraser on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you...I didn't know it was that direct. YouTube shows people dismantling the entire front dash panel to get at the instrument cluster. The mechanic wanted $114 to do it - for 5 screws! Again, thanks for the advice!

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
Thank you...I didn't know it was that direct. YouTube shows people dismantling the entire front dash panel to get at the instrument cluster. The mechanic wanted $114 to do it - for 5 screws! Again, thanks for the advice!
The gauge cluster itself (tach/speedo/fuel/coolant temp) is a little more work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vehicle needs a smog test - the "Check Engine" light has to work or it is an automatic failure. Plus it is an OBD1 vehicle, where you short terminals and read the check engine light's blinking repetitions to determine fault codes. Unfortunately, it has to be fixed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If replacing the bulb doesn't work - you may need to solder the connection where the board meets the harness connection. It is a common failure point and super easy to redo. A quick google search shows how to on another supra sight. I had to do it to mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for that helpful suggestion. I am still somewhat intimidated about removing the dash panel - I don't want to break plastic tabs or mar the appearance. There are obviously a lot of electrical connections to the panel, as there are a number of lighted components. Again, thank you for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts