Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw in another thread that this problem can be solved by doing something to the AFM? Sorry for the newbie questions, but what can be done to the AFM?
I have an 86 MK2 with a 6M engine and Pacesetter header. Any help will be appreciated. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP! SilverMk2, I could use your expertise, when you get a moment. Thanks. ;)

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Let's see (been awhile)

1. remove the black square cover off the AFM
-run a razor blade around the outside to cut the seal
-pry out the square cover
-remove all the old silicone

2. you should be able to see the electronics of the AFM and a black gear in the middle

3. locate the W- shaped spring in the lower left hand corner held down by one screw

4. mark a reference location on the gear and the housing in some permanent manner (i.e. paint, engraving, etc.) (IMPORTANT!)

5. now holding down on the gear loosen the screw in the lower left hand corner a few turns

6. Rotate the gear anywhere from 1 to 3+ teeth counter-clockwise and retighten the screw

7. reinstall the black square cover and apply silicone around the perimeter like Toyota did (electronics and water don't mix)

Basically what you're doing is changing the spring tension on the flapper inside the airstream. By going counter-clockwise will lessen the tension, so that at a given RPM/airflow the flapper will open more. Techically what happen is the computer thinks more air is flowing than what there is, so this richens the fuel mixture. The opposite is true if you go the other way (more tension/leaner mixture). You should probably try 2 teeth to begin with. You can get by taping the cover on and test drive it. Keep rotating an extra tooth at a time till you get to where the engine will feel like its bogging down, and go back a tooth or two. And then go ahead and do step 7. Note this won't help your gas mileage any.

Couple of links for the same thing
http://www.geocities.com/motorCity/7177/toyafmmod.html

http://www.celicas.org/celica_features.htm

(click peformance mods, airflow meter)

Aaron I :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dude! Now I have something to tweak! Hehe :D Maybe it'll help my response a bit too. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
hehe... i did that in my celica about 3mos. ago... i went a few teeth too many

whoops! man that thing ran horrible....

and damn if i didn't remember to mark it either...

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
SloppyGoat said:
I saw in another thread that this problem can be solved by doing something to the AFM? Sorry for the newbie questions, but what can be done to the AFM?
I have an 86 MK2 with a 6M engine and Pacesetter header. Any help will be appreciated. ;)
If you're running the 5M ECU with the 6MGE I believe that this is a known issue. The solution IIRC is to get the 6M ecu... SilverMk2 (Aaron) can confirm.

HTH.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, so I've read in a few places. Where can I get a 6M ECU? Anyone? Will it make any diff in performance, or just fix the light? Cause, if that's all it does, I'm not too worried about it.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
You can get a 6m ECU from Toysport. They want an arm and a leg for them though ($350!). I'd play with the AFM 1st, supposedly gets rid of the problem for a lot of folks, plus it's cheap :D. Couple of other folks have had luck just dropping in the 210 cc injectors from 85-87 4AGEs. My opinion is you should have some mods before going the 210 cc route. Basically injectors are 15% bigger, motor alone is 7% bigger.

Aaron I

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Man, this is freaking irritating as hell! Every time I try to post, the server is overloaded again! They really need to do something about that. :mad:
I just lost everything I'd typed....gone. :rolleyes:

I keep getting this!

Basically, I was asking if I can just switch to bigger injectors without doing major shit to the fuel system. Will the ECU run them, or would I have to change things drastically? And what, if so...

Also, $350!!!! WTF is wrong with those people!? I don't even think it'll make a performance diff, will it?

BTW, I already went 5 teeth counter on the AFM. We'll see what happens when I open it up tomorrow. No noticeable difference in response, though.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Annoying tell me about it :mad: . I usually cut'n'paste to kinda save my reply before clicking submit. The blue plug 85-87 4AGE (Corolla, MR2) injectors are plug'n'play in the MkII. But unless you have some additional mods to increase airflow, you're probably going to go from running lean to running rich. If smog checks are easy to pass or nonexistent in your area this shouldn't be a huge problem, except for possible poor gas mileage. The only thing that stinks is the injectors in the MkII take a fair amount of work to change.

Aaron

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I'm cutting and pasting now. :rolleyes: Added a summary of what I lost a few minutes ago.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts