Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up...my stock twins arent going yet..but i have some smoke under boost....can i check to see if the seals are bad by taking off the hose tot he intercooler and checking for oil residue??
or is there any other wayt to tell...
also real quick..what is the diff. between and leak down testa nd a compression test???

i did a search and nothing
thanx in advance
ant

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone ..can anyone help me out please

thanx
ant

·
Registered
396 Posts
a leak down test is not a compression test. the leak down test is done to pinpoint a compression leak after it has been identified. it is performed by using compressed air and forcing it into the cylinder while the valves are all closed. thus allowing you to hear the leak through the intake(intake valve leak), exhaust pipe(exh. valve leak), ...etc.....

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thats cool....btw bro nice FD...i like the color...i had a chance to buy my friends MINT red 94 R2...his was checked by KD rotary and they said that it was one of the nicest FD's they had ever seen ..mechanically as well it was perfect..but i still didnt wanna have the chance of having a headache....thats def a car on my list for the future when i am able to start collecting again...for now i stick with the reliable power of the MKIV....
anyway i am wondering how i can chekc for twins that are starting to go bad..i cant tell on the supra i am about to buy if its the twins that are going bad or the valve seals..i ahvent been around it long enough to tell..but i need to know if i check the intercooler piping for sopme oil residue..will this tell me if the selas ont he turboes are leaking...also idk if you would know this but when peopel tell to look for a boost leak..they say to pressurize the system...what does this mean..

thanx
any info would be great
ant

·
Registered
346 Posts
Even when the twins are ok, there may be a very small amount of oil residue in the intercooler pipes.....very small amount. But
if you can actually wipe up the oil out of the pipes then I'd say it's a turbo. I recently blew a stock twin, and I had a ton of oil in my pipes. I blew a seal very badly. I had oil leaking out of my filter and blowing out of my bov as well.

Are either of the turbos making the "death whine"?
Tony

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
The majority of the time when the turbo seals go out you shouldn't really see smoke under boost, but you will see it after you let off after boosting. If its blowing smoke out while you are boosting maybe you are just runnign really rich. My #2 turbo seal went out on me a while back and I had to swap them out. You will know for sure if its bad when you actually take them apart because the turbine blades will be coated black vs. a redish orange if its good. Like HomeRocks said a little bit of oil in the intercooler piping is pretty normal so that not really a good way to check.

Mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
Blowing a turbo will have different results. My car smoked like crazy when my turbo blew. Some cars don't smoke. I wasn't able to get any boost and I had a ton of white smoke pouring out of my exhaust. White smoke usually isn't smoke, but it's coolant being burnt, but in my case, I believe the smoke was white because of the oil I was using.

Is your car boosting properly? I would take your car for a few hard runs and see if it boosts properly. Sometimes when a turbo starts to go, it may boost fine while the turbo isn't very hot, but after a few runs when it heats up, boost may drop to vacuum, and you will see/feel/hear problems. I'm assuming that this is because expansion from the heat causes things to loosen up. This was my first indication of my turbo on its last legs.

What color is the smoke?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts