Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are we suppose to check the oil when engine is on or off? and when the engine is cold or hot??? i know this is a noob question but i've heard different opinions..THANKS

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
check it w/ the engine off, after its been warmed up and let it sit a couple minutes first for it to sink to the oil pan

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Definitely when it is off....as far as temperature goes,
cold-oil will take up less volume, though I doubt it will be noticable. It has more to do with oil draining from various places, ie the head, and draining into the oil pan to give you an artificially high reading.

Tranny fluid should be checked when vehicle is warm (assuming you have auto)

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm the problem is wen i check the oil, i would wipe off the dipstick anad then stick it back in and take it out again. but the second time i take it out there would be no oil....but when i do start the engine there is oil. not sure if i am low or not...? BTW i have an 89 5 spd turbo

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
supratkfy said:
hmm the problem is wen i check the oil, i would wipe off the dipstick anad then stick it back in and take it out again. but the second time i take it out there would be no oil....but when i do start the engine there is oil. not sure if i am low or not...? BTW i have an 89 5 spd turbo
You have to either check it cold or wait for a while after turning it off. While it’s running, a bunch of the oil is circulation through the engine. After its shut off, the oil will drain back into the pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts