Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car has been sitting since yesterday, I just popped the hood, checked the oil AND NOTHING WAS ON THE STICK!! Am I supposed to start it up first then check it or wht? No oil leaks and If she burns oil its very small amounts. Oil was just changed 2 saturdays ago.. sorry if im a noob.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
DONT START IT LIKE THAT

Fill up the oil first and then start it.

Good to hear that people actually check their oil..

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well is your car turbo? maybe your turbo oil seals are gone. also maybe check the lower intercooler pipe and see if its filled with oil. it might blow out the cold side and not the hot side.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
right. but only if its going out the exhaust. so maybe take off the accordian hose and check for oil and check for shaft play. also check the LICP and maybe intercooler and see how much oil you get out of it.

also take off the turbo elbow and see if theres oily residue all over the blade.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New to turbos sorry.. accordian hose - the hose thats on the front facing part of the turbo right?

LICP?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
yes the hose in front of the turbo.
LICP = lower intercooler pipe

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
LaDuce said:
New to turbos sorry.. accordian hose - the hose thats on the front facing part of the turbo right?

LICP?
Yeah that one, the one that connects the AFM to the turbo.

Which dipstick do you have? The one that is really hard to read or the one thats easier to read?

For the one that is hard to read, you really kinda have to go with wetness meaning see where the oil wets the rag and comparing it to the dipstick indicator.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I used to panic checking my oil when I had the 7m. After my rebuild, everything was just so clean, it was very very hard to see oil on the dipstick at all!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im pretty sure i have a good dipstick.. the part that actually shows the readings is flat everything is visible on it. Right now if I were to take it out there is just a smidge of oil on the tip.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
ok, well how much oil did you put in?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just recently bought the car. the guy had the oil changed for me he didnt tellme the amount of oil put in, I just checked the dipstick and it was on right below the H. I checked it like 7 times since and all is well. Yesterday i went to change the belts, and out of curiousity i said, "might as well check the oil" and it was wet, wiped it off, put back in, pulled out DRY. Sometimes when she sits for a good period of time (halfday to a day) she smokes a TINY TINY Bit.. not like huge amounts but a little start up puff.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well that little puff it prolly just the valves seals, not a big deal. but deffinatly put in more oil or just change it all together and put the right wieght in and the right amount.
i put in 4 quarts of valvoline 20-50 or 10-40 depending on the season. and 1 thing of lucas oil stabalizer stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking that. Just change the oil all together and monitor. Does it really harm the car if synthetic is put in even if the car hasnt been ran with syn?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
umm..not sure about all that. might wanna search for that.
how many miles is on your car. got any pics? pics are always good.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just added a full liter and she is just half way between F and L with the same type of oil.. Do you think I should just change the oil with some good shit or just leave this as is and see if she still burns it off?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you ran her before checking the oil then that might be your problem there. Usually you want to check the oil level when the car is cold; I believe that is the proper way to do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking that but Idunno.. I work for GM and after every oil change I just put it in, start it up and check and the level is always dead on. i started it to make sure the belts were good left it runnin for like 3-5 mins gave it a little gas, Jut to mke sure. Turned it off and checked her out. It was dry. Let it sit for a good half an hour then checked she was just below the L. I topped it up with a liter and she is at half way between F and L. So I dont know. Im gonna check for turbo seals but everything looks dry so i dont know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts