Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a method or way i can check the condition of the piston rings with my cylinder head off? I still have good hash marks on all cylinders too. I would like to make sure they are okay before I put everything back together.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
You can always try the water method... pour water in cyclinder, let it sit and see if ya loose any water... thats all I can think of without tearing the motor down... aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm i don't think i wanna dump water in the piston wells... I poured oil in the cylinder... 3 months later the oil went through. Is this bad? or normal...

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
If you had any doubts you should have done a compression check before you took it off, the only way I know is just to visually check the bore and mic them top/bottom/radially, feel the ridge at the top too, of course this will only give you some kind of idea of the cylinder wear, you cannot figure out the end gaps without a full teardown.... if you do that you may as well rebuild it

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
feel for a large ridge just below the deck to see if the rings have worn the walls down at all -

also, put the cylinder at BDC and inspect the cylinder walls. If you still have all of the cross hatching in place im sure that you are fine.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
sammydafish said:
you can do a compression test with the head off. just need to build a plate to use. I have one that I built, I'll post pics later. They are at home, I'm at work now.
Cool, I'd like to see that.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i got quite a bit of cross hash left surprisingly... the car wasn't driven much at all. I would like to see that contraption aswell... sounds interesting.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
Here's some pics of this thing. The harware store near my shop only had thin plexiglass so the first one I made didn't work, but you can see a clear shot of it in the 1st picture. I went and got a like a 1/2" piece later and made it again. That one worked awesome. The thicker version can be seen in the second pic. Just hook your leak down tester up to the port with air and see how much it will hold. Mine didn't hold that much, the third picture shows why.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
sammydafish said:
Mine didn't hold that much, the third picture shows why.
Gotta love detonation...thats a good idea sammy have to try that out sometime.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
JT87NA said:
Gotta love detonation...thats a good idea sammy have to try that out sometime.
No detonation there, pistons were clean. When the motor was built by the previous owner they failed to clearance the ringland gap, so the rings, beeing to tight on the ringlands, broke the lands to pieces. This happend on two pistons, the two that were replace during the stock rebuild.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
sammydafish said:
No detonation there, pistons were clean. When the motor was built by the previous owner they failed to clearance the ringland gap, so the rings, beeing to tight on the ringlands, broke the lands to pieces. This happend on two pistons, the two that were replace during the stock rebuild.
Wow, thought for sure detonation caused that, that is kinda what my pistons in my 7MGE look like except just hairline cracks that are barely visible to the naked eye.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
ha sammy that thing is awesome... I'll keep that thing in mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts