Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been driving the supra around today to diagnose the few problems that are left. had the brakes go out on me at 75, that was alot of fun. either way still have no power whatsoever but i can rev it all the way up now and its driveable. i just dont get going anywhere fast at all. after a 5 minute drive i pulled back into my driveway and popped the hood. i noticed the exhaust manifold, turbo hotside and the turbo elbow were all cherry red. the only experience ive had with exhausts getting this hot is when a cat was clogged, that always came along with no power also. could this be my problem, or is there some other crazy little supra quirk that i should be looking for? i checked to make sure the turbo (all seals and compressor) is okay and its still doing fine.

·
4,931 Posts
Drop the cat while the car is running and see if it revs any better, and take it out for a drive if you want to be sure.

The exhaust manifold and turbo should NEVER be that hot haha. I'd check coolant and oil levels just to be safe. Do that daily :)

And find the brake problem before you go on any long trips, that's not something you should have to worry about. I'm sure it was fun lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oils doing fine. Coolants kinda shot though. Im gonna flush it out tommorow at work. I was wondering if im going to have any trouble if I drop the dp and run it. We did that to my friends 37r subaru and it just shot flames in his engine compartment, Haha. And I found where the brake line blew out and replaced that section, but im pretty sure now another section blew out so I think im just going to do the entire line from front to back.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The only thing I ever heard that turned the exhaust manifold cherry red was when the cat is clogged badly....mine is clogged now and it has a leak in the downpipe and it still drives fine...other than idles funny....I wouldn't drive it until you get a new cat(high flow of course!lol) or a test pipe....also make sure the exhaust is ok..good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has to be the timing. I pulled the entire exhaust of, im talking open elbow, and yeah it ran better but it still has the power of a smart car. Looks like I will be spending another day under the hood of my supra. We sure are growing a tight bind spending so much time together, haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I searched how to set base on this motor but all I saw was problems with timing on aftermarket ecu's. Can anyone tell me how I can go set base?

·
Registered
500 Posts
A cat will glow red hot when you have a missfire but a manifold or turbo glowing red hot ususaly means no flow through them. You should check to make sure coolant can flow through the turbo, and check to see if oil can flow through it also. The oil return line can become clogged if you get the turbo too hot without letting it idle to cool it off (turbo timer time). The vw new Beetles (god I hate even mentioning those piles) have the same symptoms when there return line get clogged but that is 10 hours of complete hell trying to replace that bastard.
As for the timing you will have to jumper the diag connector then test with timing light.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The diag port needs to be jumpered? I didn't know that would need to be done also prior to checking it with the light. I've never had to do timing on a distributorless car before though. What do I need to do to adjust the timing? Isn't it something like turn the crank sensor? And if so where's that located?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts