Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I'm about to send my turbo compressor and single turbo intake pipe for chroming. I have one little concern. My friend told me chroming parts give off more heat and ultimately raise more engine bay temperature? Is this a valid statement? I once had hot start problem with my car and i would hate to produce more heat under hood by chroming. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
not sure if I can attest this, my car need more fine tuning. hot start takes a bit maybe 2 while i give it some gas to get it to idle. i have a chromed Hypertune, IC pipe, and intake pipe. no issues on cold start, it's still as hot as it was stock.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Biologist. I'm actually sending my parts in for chroming to Pete. I believe he chromed your hypertune intake. Looks beautiful.
I'm in hawaii and when I had hot start issues, I did everthing to reduce engine bay temp. Wraps, turbo blanket, etc. I'm just paranoid that even slightest bump in temp would bring back my hot start issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Hi Biologist. I'm actually sending my parts in for chroming to Pete. I believe he chromed your hypertune intake. Looks beautiful.
I'm in hawaii and when I had hot start issues, I did everthing to reduce engine bay temp. Wraps, turbo blanket, etc. I'm just paranoid that even slightest bump in temp would bring back my hot start issue.
I wouldn't think it could affect it. i could be wrong. yes he's good people. I should've sent my compressor cover to him!

·
Administrator
8,798 Posts
relevant old thread,

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?79707-Heat-tolerance-of-chrome-plating

You would think adding additional layers for heat to travel through will insulate that item from expelling the heat. Aluminum tends to dissipate heat fairly well so chrome is going to slow down that process. Enough to affect performance for a few highway pulls? probably not, around a race track or drag strip? perhaps. You don't usually see purpose built race cars with alot of chrome for the most part, must be a reason.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would look at your tune before worrying about chrome affecting the engine bay temps. My compressor, valve covers, intake and power steeering are chrome and I am not seeing excessive temps running 30psi in 90 degree weather or any hot start issues. Yes Pete will do a nice job for you!

·
Registered
428 Posts
all chrome here in south florida with 95 degree heat. I worried about the same issue aswell. However my temps still stay between 178-185 degrees. you will be just fine

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
You would have a very hard time even measuring any difference in heat loss from the compressor housing or intake piping due to chrome plating. The heat given off is almost all convective heat loss and the chrome plating has an insignificant impact on that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would look at your tune before worrying about chrome affecting the engine bay temps. My compressor, valve covers, intake and power steeering are chrome and I am not seeing excessive temps running 30psi in 90 degree weather or any hot start issues. Yes Pete will do a nice job for you!
Agreed. Same here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can't really say anything about if it will add any temperature, but if it did I would have a hard time believing that it would be enough to effect anything vastly. But I'm curious, do you not believe the pigtails fixed your hot start issue?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No doubt cam pigtail resolved my hot start issue. I was just being paranoid and more or less became heat phobia lol. I removed the compressor and packed it up for chroming :)

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I am sure you know that an aluminum turbo cover can be polished to a high luster almost like chrome?

Seems a little extreme to chrome it. You may get chrome on the business side of the turbo, then you will have to wonder if it is flaking off inside there.

Al

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
You would have a very hard time even measuring any difference in heat loss from the compressor housing or intake piping due to chrome plating. The heat given off is almost all convective heat loss and the chrome plating has an insignificant impact on that.
This. The finish is for looks and should have no real impact on heat transfer.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
574 Posts
Have you considered a polished ceramic coating instead? Not sure how much of a difference it would be, but it's worth mentioning

Nick C.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just as everyone here as said, chroming doesn't have enough of a negative effect to cause more heat to be noticeable... But just polishing or ceramic heat coating is another option if your worried about heat soak

1 - 17 of 17 Posts