Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad's brother died and I have the opportunity to pick up a 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI with 55,000 miles. I have not seen it yet, but the deal is I have to pay the storage fee's for the car while the will was contested. $2200 is what it takes to get it. I don't know anything about these cars, but I know Chryslers are a POS in general.
Thanks

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Just a few points here;

It is a Mitsubishi Starion with some Chrysler specific optioning.

The word Uncle exists for a reason, specifically the word Uncle refers to your fathers' brother.

Overall that is not a bad price.

Parts will be very difficult to find new.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Stay away. Far away. The exception would be if you are going to do one of 2 options:

a) Use the Starion for target practice at a Title II outdoor event. :D

b) Replace the 2.4L with a 2.0L 4G63.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
If its clean, I would pick it up.
Very hard to find one that hasnt been smacked up. They get very assy.

I always loved those cars. The motors are bleh, but the sky is the limit if you got money. And they look cool.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I just saw one in the latest Import Tuner with a built NA 2JZ-GE.
Oooooh! That would be cool. What trans?

If I remember correctly, the Starion/Conquest rear diff is pretty stout. Eric Plebani used to run some meat ET's in his 4G63 Starion. I think his rear diff was OEM.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
Oooooh! That would be cool. What trans?

If I remember correctly, the Starion/Conquest rear diff is pretty stout. Eric Plebani used to run some meat ET's in his 4G63 Starion. I think his rear diff was OEM.
I'm not sure that the article ever mentioned it aside from a short caption beneath the picture; it was built by the same garage in Japan that did that crazy 3S-GTE S15 Silvia.

·
2JZ S13
2,207 Posts
If its clean, I would pick it up.
Very hard to find one that hasnt been smacked up. They get very assy.

I always loved those cars. The motors are bleh, but the sky is the limit if you got money. And they look cool.
X2 i would pick one up if it is in good shape.

and sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The g54b was a 2.6 liter, not a 2.4. A buddy of mine just built a motor for his and had to wait 8 months from crower for rods! Also, anytime he needs a gasket or certain parts he has to wait awhile to receive them from parts stores. 55k is very low for miles and I'm sure you could sell it for more than what you're going to pay for it on the conquest/starion forums.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Loved those cars...Id get and drop a 4g63 in it...Cheap and fast....and you would be unique......Wont see yourself coming and going probably never......Get it...

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The concept of that car is awesome. And I hope a fastback cheap turbo RWD 4-cyl. comes back in big numbers soon. Yet...

ALL of my Conquest/Starion owner friends long ago became astute mechanics thanks to discovering (and re-discovering) the weaknesses of the engine/fuel system/driveline. A good friend busted his rear end and he wasn't even a serious drag racer (<15 track runs); the rear looks tiny compared to even an f-body rear (granted f-bodies were heavier).

Cyl. cracking and uneven fuel distribution are just few of the many issues. It's a piston engined ride with more problems than some rotary powered buddies went through back in the day. If there were 5 Conquest/Starion owners at a car meet, a couple would be there without their cars cause it's down for another issue.

The underhood access to many components is excellent as you know so it's a great trainer for learning about repair, which is necessary given the relatively thin community/interest.

Lightweight, RWD, reasonably small Cd x frontal area give it potential. Engine transplants, port injected EFI, have been done and you hear about 9-sec. rides too but few and far between.

The fairly limited stock rev limit along with steep gearing will make you shift too much through the speed range and you'll run out of gear at a speed some crossover SUVs are able to exceed.

Less is more for this ride...so mod with restraint if that's any goal of yours and spend extra time to tune it to find the right balance of rich (don't want to wash out rings, form too many deposits which can happen on this old tech combustion chamber) in heavy running cyl. and lean in cyl. that get less fuel. I'd say mid-13s to low 14s is the limit of a reliable setup that you can even lend to a friend and not worry about it being towed back. Mid-12s can be done with lots of attention.

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
The g54b really just has some peripheral problems, remember, this is the same motor that was used low those many years ago to power Sakura to timeslips that took everyone else years to catch up to.

TBI sucks on any engine, once you get rid of that headache, you're only limited by the pistons on your way up to 800+hp. Forged crank, strong rods, etc.

Although I'd really love to see an LS1 Cuntquest.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
There's definitely money to be made on the car from what I saw on AutoTrader. Conquests with three times the mileage were selling for more than what it would cost you to get that car with 55k miles.
:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seen plenty w/ 4G63 swaps in those cars. The 2.6L stock engine is also SOHC and has issues w/ leaking injectors. That's the biggest complaint I heard from my DSM friends that had a couple of those cars. I love the styling; wide fenders, deep dish wheels, stock FMIC. For the mid-late 80's I like them better then the other RWD, japanese, 4 cylinder, turbo cars: FC rx7, mkIII supra, and 300zx turbo.

I'd love to pick one up. Had the chance to pick up a really nice black one about 2 years ago for $2500 obo, but it broke down the day we were going to meet up and look at it, so I backed out after that. I'd love to swap a better engine and make it a project car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts