Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The bottom of my Supra is horribly dirty/greasy/oily from the previous owner who did not take care of leaks, etc before they got out of hand. When I bought the Supra, I considered getting a new car instead due to issues like this and that I'm a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to maintaining my possessions. Anyway, I've driven the car less than 1,000 miles in the year I've owned it and I try to keep it as immaculate as possible. Why am I saying all this? Just trying to give the reader a feel for how meticulous I am.

Anyway, the undercarriage is territory I haven't really explored yet, but I'd like to get it as clean/new as possible. I tackled the task myself a few times, but I've come to the conclusion I do not have the time, skill, or equipment to successfully accomplish my goal, so my question is are there professional detail shops in existence that will take an old grungy bottomside of a car and make it new again? I know the first answer is, "with money, anything is possible", so let me just reiterate that I am looking for something reasonable of course. Since "reasonable" is relative, yet with no knowledge of how much something like this would cost, does anyone have any ideas on pricing?

I've heard of owners getting the undercarriage coated with some anti-corrosion materials, so I would presume restoring the underside of the Supra is possible. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I detailed mine myself in my driveway/garage... brake parts cleaner and a pressure washer is all it takes... took an afternoon and probably 20 cans of brake cleaner but it looks great now.. I do quick clean ups with oil changes and it stays great.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
Maybe better to clean it at a local carwash, the pressure washers they have are usually a lot stronger than the ones used for home use, (unless you have an industrial one). I would just soak the undercarrage in degreaser and cleaner, and scrub it clean and pressure wash it off.

At the dealership where we work at, we have a super steam cleaner. We just spray degreaser on it, drive it into a bay. and we have a high pressure gun that shoots out super boiling hot water, and thats what we use to clean off under-carrages of off road trucks and the really dirty stuff.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I detailed mine myself in my driveway/garage... brake parts cleaner and a pressure washer is all it takes... took an afternoon and probably 20 cans of brake cleaner but it looks great now.. I do quick clean ups with oil changes and it stays great.

So the brake cleaner would not affect the coating that's on the undercarriage of the car???

·
19x10 +21 F 19x12 +28 R
2,186 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried multiple different cans of the GUNK engine brite stuff, mainly from the FAQ post on engine detailing, but didn't use a pressure washer.

I'll give it a try with the brake parts cleaner, thanks. I don't have a pressure washer, but my roommate has been wanting to get one as well, so no reason not to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just go to a DIY Carwash bay. The high pressure soap and rinse should work well. If it's really bad hit it with some degreaser first and let it soak in a few minutes. Then hit it with the high pressure sprayer.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I just use some good degreaser a few brushes and the pressure washer. All I have is a 1600 PSI electric washer from Sam's Club (I think it was less than $100), but it seems to do pretty well. Once I'm done and it's dry I spray some undercoating to give it that brand new look. I am almost done right now, but the car us up on jack stands in the garage. I made a pretty good mess in there. :D

Alex

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
When using degreaser, make sure you dilute it to the right specifications as it can etch the aluminum/metal if you do not wash it off right away or if it is too strong. Always keep it wet and agitated.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
+1

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
I cleaned mine with Simple green, water and a hard bristle brush. Resprayed the coating, took everything I could unbolt off and sandblasted it then repainted it black.... looks showroom under there.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I also did this brake clean / power washer and after that I used a FLAT krylon paint. It turned out nice

·
Registered
286 Posts
just go to a drive in car wash at one of your gas stations you can get a undercarriage wash an it works very good.. i did that on my last car and looks almost new again and it was only a couple bucks and you get to sit in the air conditioning. and if your not 100% satisfied go through as many times as you want... they use some kind of cleaner and really hot water and i high pressure wash..

·
Registered
524 Posts
I cleaned mine with Simple green, water and a hard bristle brush. Resprayed the coating, took everything I could unbolt off and sandblasted it then repainted it black.... looks showroom under there.
:worthless So lets see some pictures.
Would love to see it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
someone told me that using a degreaser like greased lightning ect ect... actually can dry out the metal on the engine and under carriage..i am a fanatic also so my car gets cleaned underneath inside and out...and i just use a pressure washer and degreaser of some sort and go to work....
my friend told me this could dry the metal out and there was some sort of cleaner that is made for this type of cleaning that wont dry the metal....

i dont know if this is true but if i woudl think spraying some sort of detail spray on there to give it that shine would be fine

Ant

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
LMAO how do you dry out metal??

If anything, all those solvents might cause trouble for your rubber bushings, lines, and grommets under there.

There are places that steam clean 18 wheelers, tow trucks, and other big rigs. Check them out, some of those places have a sunken bay that you drive over and the guy stands underneath your car and steams all of it clean. Nothing but hot steam and water to make all that grease real runny and drip off your car naturally. Nothing gets hurt in the process and then you can sandblast, paint, add undercoating, or do whatever else you can think of when it's all gone and clean.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
^^^^ yeah i had the same reaction when i heard that also...
but i heard from 2 people that there is something made specifically for this job...and it has some kind of coating you spray on afterwards to protect the metals..
i ddin t think the metal dries out tho

Ant

1 - 20 of 22 Posts