Supra Forums banner

6621 - 6640 of 6658 Posts

·
YotaMD.com author
725 Posts
I vote @suprarx7nut for new Photobucket CEO.
My first action will be to fire every remaining member of leadership present during the initial ransom situation. Then I'd fire every member of leadership present during the current decision to disallow bulk downloads from your own library.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,368 Posts
Can confirm, does work as long as the pic owner didn't go through and delete everything during the initial photobucketgate.

But here's a non photofuckit pic anyway.
Alan,

The car looks fantastic. Hard to beat white over bronze.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,368 Posts

Ken.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Was wondering how long it was going to take you to post some updated pics of Crimson Ken. Pretty sure that thing looks better every time I see it. Nice to see the HKS IC kit on too.

·
Super Moderator
10,368 Posts
Looks awesome Ken. My buddy Patrick use to own it. We've been to a few supra meets together. I miss that car. It was / is beautiful.
Patrick was/is a great guy and wonderful seller. Per his request, he has dibs on right of first refusal in case the car is ever sold.

Was wondering how long it was going to take you to post some updated pics of Crimson Ken. Pretty sure that thing looks better every time I see it. Nice to see the HKS IC kit on too.

The car is doing well, Alan. Still looking for some wheels that will clear my BBK but, other than that and installing the TRD LSD I bought close to two years ago, she's done.

A better pic of the HKS MA70 FMIC:

Is that a KITT inspired chasing l.e.d. bar I see up front? :D
Jaime,

Your comment made me smile. I had not noticed the resemblance but, if KITT was a MKIII, it would probably look a lot like the front of my car. They are JDM Smoked Blinker Covers. I've grown to like the look over time.

Ken.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
Jaime,

Your comment made me smile. I had not noticed the resemblance but, if KITT was a MKIII, it would probably look a lot like the front of my car. They are JDM Smoked Blinker Covers. I've grown to like the look over time.

Ken.
Oppps, the quote function didn't work as expected in my quote of RAFEVO and my comment was for their car. It's black, and I see some red lights on RAFEVO's black pre-89. The blinker covers on yours I've always been keen on though. By the way, I'm always playing with removing the side-moulding on the A70s, I've even made convertible Mk. III's too. Y'know, to see what a targa could look like with a chopped roof.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The car is doing well, Alan. Still looking for some wheels that will clear my BBK but, other than that and installing the TRD LSD I bought close to two years ago, she's done.

A better pic of the HKS MA70 FMIC:
The hunt for wheels is nearly eternal...... I've got it narrowed down to 2 wheels but now I can't decide between 17" and 18".
I've been looking and thinking for roughly 8 years now.

Jeff has recently made me regret letting go of my HKS IC kit to my brother as I didn't believe I would ever have a need after going FFIM on the 89. So needless to say I am now looking for another HKS IC kit..........

I'm always playing with removing the side-moulding on the A70s
I always liked the idea until I saw one in person, it just doesn't look right.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
The hunt for wheels is nearly eternal...... I've got it narrowed down to 2 wheels but now I can't decide between 17" and 18".
I've been looking and thinking for roughly 8 years now.

Jeff has recently made me regret letting go of my HKS IC kit to my brother as I didn't believe I would ever have a need after going FFIM on the 89. So needless to say I am now looking for another HKS IC kit..........

I always liked the idea until I saw one in person, it just doesn't look right.

My opinion, is that 17's look most fitted in the A70 wheel opening. 18's look good, yes, but one must remember that the designers designed the car around s 16" wheel. So, as such having a wheel that doesn't deviate too much from that diameter tends to flow better. There's too much wheel, and not enough car (18"). 17" looks right, 18" looks good. Take for example the A80 17" wheel. That's a funny looking wheel in general, but it looks right at home on the A70. Current styling trends for old 60's American cars are a good example, people are putting 18" and 19" wheels in cars that normally came with 14" and maybe 15" diameter. There's waaaay too much wheel going on, and the beauty of the cars lines gets completely swallowed up by these really big wheels. Heck, it's like the beauty of the car no longer exists. Speaking of beauty though....

I know, I know. The A70 doesn't look right without the side molding. I keep doing it because I keep thinking it will, and it still looks funny. I've concluded several things,
1.) It's that we're accustomed to that side molding being there
2.) the molding makes the car look wider, which in itself looks more appealing when it looks wider, which I think is related to #1. If it doesn't look wide, then it doesn't look right
3.) I've seen the moldings removed and the side markers still retain the look of them poking out and is not planar with the body. It looks funny.
4.) It's related to the width thing, and it's that the front of the car looks wider than the rear, slim the body and the front looks even wider.

Things to address this are to fill the moldings and smooth the body, have the side markers planar with the body (I think the rounded corner and "flat" side markers of the 944s would be great to use). Also, widen the rear of the car by widening the rear at the body above the rear wheels, think half a wide body. Not rear wheel flares, as it would look unbalanced styling wise. Lower the body a little to give it a wider look too. Having it with too much wheel gap will give it a narrowing effect. So, lower it! Ultimately, I think it could look right once you got used to it. lol. :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
My opinion, is that 17's look most fitted in the A70 wheel opening. 18's look good, yes, but one must remember that the designers designed the car around s 16" wheel.
You and I share the exact same opinion here. My only reason for considering an 18" is going to be tire selection. When you get up to the 305-315 range you're pretty much looking at an R compound, and while I like R compounds as much as the next guy I tend to drive in freezing/below freezing temps more than the next guy. It'll be a small miracle for me to go with 18"s over the 17"s, and in the specific wheel I am looking at just happens to have a set of both 18" and 17" available. :unsure:

2.) the molding makes the car look wider, which in itself looks more appealing when it looks wider, which I think is related to #1. If it doesn't look wide, then it doesn't look right
I can see a well done widebody MK3 look right without molding. Just gotta get those side markers and front turn signals setup right.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
You and I share the exact same opinion here. My only reason for considering an 18" is going to be tire selection. When you get up to the 305-315 range you're pretty much looking at an R compound, and while I like R compounds as much as the next guy I tend to drive in freezing/below freezing temps more than the next guy. It'll be a small miracle for me to go with 18"s over the 17"s, and in the specific wheel I am looking at just happens to have a set of both 18" and 17" available. :unsure:

I can see a well done widebody MK3 look right without molding. Just gotta get those side markers and front turn signals setup right.

I feel ya' on tire setups. Trying to find an applicable tire is tough since wheel sizes have progressively gotten bigger and bigger since these cars were released.

What is the 17" you're looking at?

You're right. Turn signals are crucial for applying the ideas I set forth previously. Having some covers like Ken would work great, one to fill up the negative space, but also the front signal lights and opening for the rad/"grill" follow the line of the side moldings. JDM covers, or just smoking the signals too. Clear signals MIGHT work since it breaks up "the line" from the negative space, as such you're doesn't go looking for the line that would be the moldings.

Edit, with the negative space at the front signals, what happens is that the negative space carries the eye towards the line of where the side moldings WOULD be.

6621 - 6640 of 6658 Posts