Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some free time so I cleaned my engine bay with some Simple Green and water, and now the car is not running right... Not quite sure what the problem is so please, I need some help. Here are the full details:

1. Started the engine after the wash and the idle was rough. Sounded like a tractor :lol:, sorta like running on 5 cylinders. Engine was quite shaky, too.

2. Thinking it's some water in the intake, I ran the engine for a bit on idle, shut down, reset the ECU and started the car again. The rough idle was gone.

3. As soon as I drove out of the driveway the problem came back. The first few minutes of the drive was the roughest. I'd give it a little gas and the car sounded like a lawnmower and would not want to go. I will refer to this behavior as the "putt-putt".

4. As I drove around, I noticed that the car went "putt-putt" on me only when I gave it gas. A very minimal amount of gas to keep the car rolling forward on a flat road was ok, anything beyond that would make the engine to "putt-putt".

5. I must have reset the ECU 20 times! After driving for a good half-an-hour, the car seemed have gotten much better. But it was only better when I drove it very gingerly right after the reset. If it gave it gas, yup, Mr. "putt-putt" came right back. This is as best as it gets... The condition has stopped getting better.

6. Lastly, I also noticed some water vapor/sizzling noise coming from the top of the engine after shut down. I'm not a 100% on this but it seems that the sound is actually within the spark plug socket...

In any case, has anyone else experienced this? Can anybody offer some insight? My car is crippled and it's my only method of transportation to work... Please help.
Thanks,

Jason Lee :hug:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
why do people wash their engines? if you didnt mess up any electronics (afm in particular) your probably got too much water in the spark valley and intake, take out your plugs and let the car sit in the sun for a few hours with the hood up so the water can evaporated. Good luck and dont do it again.

Ang

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
ya u gotta watch out for those plugs, alternator, and all those wiring in the engine bay. I usually just clean the engine bay by hand so i never had this problem.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i had a similar problem when i did mine 2 weeks ago, car was very rough at idle, wouldnt boost passed 5 psi, and wouldnt rev passed 4k. after letting it idle for a real long time and taking her for a few easy rides around the block she ran fine after that, seeing as your problem is ongoing i agree with everyone else, pull those spark plugs and let it dry out.

·
Scratching and Sniffing
2,849 Posts
Sounds like water in ther spark plug valley to me. DO NOT pull spark plugs out to dry it off!! Soak up the bulk of the water and then use compressed air to blow the rest of the water out of there. Use WD-40 or some kind of contact cleaner on the ends of your spark plug leads before reconnecting.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
aweber said:
The spark plug valleys get filled with water causing the spark to arc against the block....

Yep get a turkey baster to take out the water then take out the spark plugs and turn over the engine for 10 seconds with the plugs out put them back in and enjoy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try checking the plug valleys first.
I will add more to this thread-hopefully I wouldn't have to-if it doesn't work out...
Wish me luck...

ZaZZn: I'm not too familiar with the term "turning the engine over". Do I simply turn the key into ignition and hold for ten seconds? Is that ok for the starter? Thanks...

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
next time use engine degreaser in an aerosol can, spray liberally and wipe off with a hot wet rags, then dry rags or paper towel, you can turn the engine over safely by pulling the EFI fuse

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Whenver I've degreased an engine bay before, the car usually doesn't run very well for at least 5-6 hours or until everything dries. I degreased my MX-6 last week and it wouldn't run properly until the next day. Kept getting major spark plug missing over 4Krpm, and the car would stall. Next day it worked perfectly.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah, i do it by hand, all i use it the "gunk" engine cleaner, the stuff that smells like oranges and either use an old toothbrush to get in the little spots and wipe it down with a rag. Theres so many electronic things in the engine bay i would never feel safe doing it any other way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts