Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some free time so I cleaned my engine bay with some Simple Green and water, and now the car is not running right... Not quite sure what the problem is so please, I need some help. Here are the full details:

1. Started the engine after the wash and the idle was rough. Sounded like a tractor :lol:, sorta like running on 5 cylinders. Engine was quite shaky, too.

2. Thinking it's some water in the intake, I ran the engine for a bit on idle, shut down, reset the ECU and started the car again. The rough idle was gone.

3. As soon as I drove out of the driveway the problem came back. The first few minutes of the drive was the roughest. I'd give it a little gas and the car sounded like a lawnmower and would not want to go. I will refer to this behavior as the "putt-putt".

4. As I drove around, I noticed that the car went "putt-putt" on me only when I gave it gas. A very minimal amount of gas to keep the car rolling forward on a flat road was ok, anything beyond that would make the engine to "putt-putt".

5. I must have reset the ECU 20 times! After driving for a good half-an-hour, the car seemed have gotten much better. But it was only better when I drove it very gingerly right after the reset. If it gave it gas, yup, Mr. "putt-putt" came right back. This is as best as it gets... The condition has stopped getting better.

6. Lastly, I also noticed some water vapor/sizzling noise coming from the top of the engine after shut down. I'm not a 100% on this but it seems that the sound is actually within the spark plug socket...

In any case, has anyone else experienced this? Can anybody offer some insight? My car is crippled and it's my only method of transportation to work... Please help.
Thanks,

Jason Lee :hug:

·
Banned
612 Posts
water + electronics = no good..

let it dry out, check the plugs.. hopefully you didnt do any damage

·
Registered
348 Posts
Also, check all the electrical connectors in the engine bay. I had a problem w/ wet MAF connectors that caused a similar problem. In my case, I had to pick up some electrical cleaner and dielectric grease and clean them to get the car working properly again...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hehehe... I did the exact same thing when I pressure-washed my engine compartment. Car wouldn't start at all until I shop-vac'd the water out of the galleys, and then it ran like crap for a day. :D

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,626 Posts
Besides water on the plug hole, also check the crank angle sensor.
It might be wet. You should use a high pressure air hose, and blow the water from the plugs. Also check for the coilpack (arching) Water is the number one enemy of all electronics. :beer:
Good luck drying everything :x:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts