Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from driving around amelessly, I see a car coming up rather quickly. Hes weaving, sort of, and finally gets next to me. Then I see what it is.. OMG LS1! Its a deep blue SS Camaro, has exhaust from the sound of it, and had a big SLP sticker on the side window.

He stabs the throttle a couple times, and I look over. His friend is laughing... LAUGHING. So I get into the right turn lane heading down 10th street, and he follows. I give it about 1/2 throttle and kinda pull away, and see him chasing kinda quick. He passes, and lets off. He then procedes to slow way down until I pass him. I know whats up, and make a left turn down a nice straight 2 lane street, where no cars dwell. He gets next to me, and floors it again, and it sounds like he has intake or something. OMG modded LS1!!!

Finally he floores it, and I punch it in 2nd gear. The half a car he stole from me was quickly reclaimed, shift to 3rd and put a little more space on him. Into 4th and still pulling slowly away. Top of 4th, going way too fast, I let off and he coasts past me.

We get to a stop sigh, and he asks me

"You wanna run back the other way for some fun?"

I say "Sure" and make a U turn. Do a quick burnout to clean the mexican racing slicks off, and stop. He does a big smokey burnout and gets next to me.

His friend decides to flag, raises his hand... then drops it.

I let him go a little early, what can I say, I'm a nice guy. At about 4500rpm in 1st I floor it, blow the tires off, and hit limiter. By this time hes about a car and a half ahead.

Shift to 2nd gear, and the car gets all sideways (time for some new tires). Damn near peg the limiter in 2nd before it regains traction, then I shift to 3rd. Uh oh... Wheres LS1's top end? I walk by him, his exhaust wailing. Into 4th and I'm about a car and a half ahead. Top of 4th I'm about 2-2.5 cars out, and shut down.

He stays WAY back, not wanting to get next to me. Finally after I slow down to like 15mph he gets next to me. Passenger yells out

"That car is MEAN!"

Uh, thanks...

"What you got in there?!"

Just a couple bolt-ons.

"Niiiice"

Right. He turns right, and takes off. I turn into my neighborhood, and go home.

--------------------
1991 Ford Mustang LX 5.0. Heads, Cam, Intake, 3.73's, Tremec 3550, Lakewoods, Tubular K @ LCA's.

Best E.T. 14.1 @ 99mph Uncorrected LACR!

G

·
Nice Run. I have an ls1 and the outcome was the total opposite. I ran some foxbody with h/c/i and a stall and pulled about 2 cars. I have lid filter and exhaust. I guess he must have had just a milder setup? Anyways good run.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Different heads/cam/intake/ and gears, weight, everything, have a huge effect on performance.

My car gets out of the hole better than the average Mustang (wait till I get it on a tire :D )

Also, theres headers, cats, tune, blah blah blah.

I have a rather mild setup, its just setup RIGHT. Components that go together well.

Kinda like some single turbo Supras run 9's, while others run 13's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice kill :bigthumb:

Checked out the video you posted. Dude in the Vette really likes to hit the rev limiter and almost lost it too. :eek:

G

·
Yeah, that vette owner has no clue how to drive.............what a moron........you'd think after burning through 2 gears, he'd catch a clue, but no.........he burns em through 3 gears, then figures out...."oh, I'm breaking traction and about to eat the wall/other lane"...........

·
Registered
237 Posts
koolaid said:
Good kill.

If you are running 14.1 ET's, the driver of the SS couldn't drive.

Yeah ,but that 14.1 is at LACR ,which is 2700ft above sea-level and has some of the worst conditions for racing.

·
Professional OT Bum
654 Posts
i dont think ur 99 or what 104 corrected on say sea level location, would still beat a ls1 z, they trap 103-110+ with intake and exhuast and even more with full exhuast.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NastyOutTheHole said:
i dont think ur 99 or what 104 corrected on say sea level location, would still beat a ls1 z, they trap 103-110+ with intake and exhuast and even more with full exhuast.
Watch the video.

G

·
good kill. Just remember all ls1's are not created equal. some are a lot faster than others. I have seen stock ls1's run 12's and some couldn't break out of the 15's. Tires and drivers have a lot to do with it too. 2001 and 02's 6 speeds seem to be the ones to watch out for. Have fun. Alan

·
I'm watching you
93 Posts
Alan566 said:
good kill. Just remember all ls1's are not created equal. some are a lot faster than others. I have seen stock ls1's run 12's and some couldn't break out of the 15's. Tires and drivers have a lot to do with it too. 2001 and 02's 6 speeds seem to be the ones to watch out for. Have fun. Alan
Yeah, some can dyno in the high 310s, 320s, and some can dyno low in the 270s.

More often than not, an LS1 will dyno in the 290-300 rwhp range though (stock)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts