Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how do I do it? I am having the head milled, but what about the block? clean it with a razor? I'm just not sure. I have looked in the MHG thread, and thier is no mention of it. BTW I DIDN'T blow my HG before i took it off.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
If you're putting a MHG in you need to have the head and block resurfaced. If you think you are lucky hit the block with some mild cleaner and a rag. I wouldn't use a razor on the block.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
get gasket remover from auto parts store, smere it on there, and scrape off till its all nice and smooth...

Ang

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Is the block out?

If it is then I would have it machined as well!

If it isn't then take out the 2 pieces of doul that are on each end of the block. Take a razor and go over the block for quite a bit trying to get all the crap off. Then lap the block using a drywall sander and the different grits of paper. I can't remember which grits but I'll check that today for you.

Then it should look almost brand new!

I think that's it for now!

Later

Jason

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I used a razor blade and cleaned up the block surface...should be OK as long as you don't score the block surface

N

·
0 Posts
usually the block is in good shape if there was no BHG yet, and no detonation running stock boost, right?

3,796 Posts
Yeah....I used some solvent (paint thinner I think) and a razor blade and didnt have any problems. Is damn hard to scratch the iron block with a little razor so scoring shouldnt be an issue. Just make sure that where the MHG seals that you cant feel any bumps or ridges with your fingernail.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Yep, I also used a razor blade. It was some scraper thing, so it was like 3" wide. Ive had no problems with my MHG so far with this method.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Brake cleaner on a blue shop rowel will remove all surface contaminates. You may have to go thru and pick off all the blue fuzzies the shop towel will leave.

I used this after the block had been machined and lapped.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
i had my block and head machined and lapped to very nice smooth before installing my HKS MHG, runs like a champ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts