Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7MGTE - I know this maybe covered in the past , I have had a quick search

Replacing head gasket with a Genuine Toyota gasket and wondering what is the best way to clean / prepare the block surface ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent thankyou

Just thought getting carb cleaner etc in the cylinders could have been an issue. Or down the oil galleries etc

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
how would you go about going about using steel wool n cleaning it? hand machine?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
cre3d said:
Lots of carb cleaner and extra fine steel wool should do fine...
umm, ya, try that out and let us know how it goes. :rolleyes:

DO NOT USE Steel wool. Your best bet would be have the block decked at a machine shop so you know it's a prefectly smooth finish.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
why go through all this work and put in a stock headgasket? if you are planning on modding the car AT ALL put a cometic or at least a hks mhg in.

just make sure either way you torque more then the 56ft/lbs in the manual.

also as for the block... you wouldnt really NEED to deck it for a stock hg... just check it with a machinists straightedge for warpage and if thats fine then use a razor edge to take any leftover material off and some brake cleaner and a paper towel will clean it up...

steel wool isnt the best idea IMO...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
stock HG will fail.

i did a stock HG on my car thinking i wouldnt need much more, i should be able to make 400rwhp on it... well i was wrong. it only lasted 6 months of 320rwhp and 16psi.

this was doing it with the block in the car, using a resurfaced head and a cleaned the block deck with Brake cleaner and single-edge razor. i used ARP head bolts torqued to 85 lb/ft with the moly lube.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Greddy 1.5mm MHG on my MZ21 Soarer although this is for the g/fs MZ20 Soarer in which will be left standard and on standard boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts