1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and galz
i know this topic been talked about millions of time
i have read a lot of the topic but none really hit on the subject
i am in the process of re assemblying a JDM engine and i would like to know how to clean the block deck for putting the head gasket and head back on.
the TSRM say use a gasket scraper or something like that for cleaning the material left from taking off the head and the gasket.
i would like to know the beside method of taking off the gunk and material.
i have castrol degreaser and some other chemical to remove grease but i would like to hear from everyone and their way of dealing with this problem.
thanks for everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
What kind of head gasket are you putting it back together with? Are you keen on doing this yourself, or do you want to get a shop to do it?

·
I live in a giant bucket.
1,237 Posts
if you are going to do it yourself, IMO, might as well do it right. I got a flat sharpening stone and have spent HOURS lapping the block with it. The block will be damn near perfect when done. (almost there)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am putting a stock head gasket
this is a non-turbo supra and i am just rebuilding the engine.
soupedupsupra--- u telling me you just use a knife sharping stone and just keep rubbing the stone over the block deck to lap the deck surface?
what are your result? it is interesting since it is the first time hearing such method of lapping the block deck.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Use a long razor blade and carb cleaner, i used that for my MHG, so a stock gasket will seat perfectly...

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Use a long razor blade and carb cleaner, i used that for my MHG, so a stock gasket will seat perfectly...
werd, the razor works well. My MHG sealed fine with this method. Just be carefull not to nick or scratch the block, especially around the cylinders.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for everyone's help
i just went out in the NYC weather___ it is damn cold and windy
and i went at it with the razor.
came out pretty clean just some crappy HG material were like gunked up and i had to put a little more elbow motion into taking off the gunk.
thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's a (probably stupid) question about using the razor blade: How do you hold the razor blade? Straight up and down? Angled with the sharp edge in the direction you're moving it? Angled away? Seems like the angled method would cut the crap away better, but have a better chance of nicking... Just curious what you all think... =)

·
greasemonkey
3,134 Posts
ditto on the razor blades, but i used acetone to clean the residue from the head and block before installing my mhg. have reused the gasket a few times with no problems.
william

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
hold it at a 45 degree angle, it is almost impossible to mar the block with a razor, keep rubbing the block with carb cleaner till it comes clean (after using the razor)
To help make the razor glide across the block, i used Ford Carb Cleaner. It comes in a metal can, but it isnt the pressurized version, you pour it out. make sure you use gloves. the ford product is about 4 dollars, and will also clean the top's of your pistons...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't think 45degree will work
you have to angle it closer to the block as i found it is hard to push the blade at a 45 degree.
lets just say the HG is caked on the deck and i had to dig the blade into the gunk and i nearly scored the deck cause of this.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
If you're just heading for a stock gasket, you don't have to lap the block to a mirror finish. The stock gaskets are much more tolerant when it comes to minor irregularities in the finish. As long as it's FLAT. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts