Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I read and printed up the article about 2 weeks ago about cleaning the headlights. I cant find the products anywhere though and would love if someone could pick me up the Novus heavy and fine scratch remover and the plexus. I would like two of each and will pay though paypal. I live in NJ and if anyone in NJ knows where I can find them please tell me.
So far I was able to buy meguires fines scratch remover and plastic cleaner. 2000 grit sandpaper and flexible silicon adhessive, but if novus and plexus are better I would like those.
thanks
matt
P.S. I am willing to sell some parts at cost to the person who helps. Right now I have accounts with StreetGlow, AEM. but will soon have Greddy HKS and everything else.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Huy, are one of the guys that did that did the write up on www.MKIV.com? Even if you are not I was wondering about the 2000 grit sand paper. I cleaned my lights like a year and a half ago and they look pretty good (I skipped the sand paper step). Only about a month ago i attempted to use 2000 grit wet sand paper on one of the lights (the out side) and it made the light hazy.. compared to the other light that i only used Mother's Plastic Polish on it looks pretty bad. What is the skill to using the 2000 grit sand paper? When I was sanding (by hand) i was getting lots of white liquid on the lights (the plastic particles mixing with water I assume) but even after several attempts the light still looks hazy. What can I do?

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
mervinn,

Yup, that was me that did the write-up for the MKIV site.

Just to let you know, when you wet sand, you need to do it with a soapy water solution. Then, once you have the surface sanded, you need to polish it with plastic polish. Immediately after wetsanding, you will notice that the surface of the plastic is all marred and cloudy. Put some plastic polish and buff...it'll be clear, shiney, and smooth.

This is the same principle as wetsanding your car's paint. Use 2000grit sandpaper and water. Your clearcoat will be marred like crazy and will freak you out at first. Apply a slightly abrasive polish and then buff with a DA or orbital....that paint will shine like no other!

If any of you have problems, just email me...

Huy
[email protected]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Huy, thanks for responding man. Ok, 2 more questions. What is a DA? Also, when sanding the lights do I go in lines? Left to right? Up and down? Circles?

The light that I sanded feels very smooth (quite a bit smoother than the light I didn't sand) but even after attempting to polish it with Mother's Plastic Polish I was unable to bring the clarity fully back. The other light looks almost crystal clear and as I said I never even sanded it.

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Mervinn,

A DA is a 'dual action' polisher...an orbital buffer in other words (or a rotary if you have one).

When wetsanding, it is best to use straight motions -- either left/right or up/down.

I don't know how the Mother's polish compares to the Novus product that I used. The cloudy surface will need some buffing/cleaning for it to turn out clear. If you can find a more abrasive polish such as the Novus Heavy scratch remover, then I suggest that.

Also, make sure you use a soft cotton towel to buff off the plastic polish...you don't want to be leaving scratches in the plastic from a dirty towel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Huy, thanks alot for the info. I assume while buffing it is ok to go in circles?

I guess I may need to source a bit stronger polish.

D

·
0 Posts
a big tip: if somehow you cant seem to get all the fine scratchs out and it still looks hazy, use a really HIGH rpm buffer/drill. it's very important and i think they're the main key in making the plastic shiny and new again. I tried using 1200-3500 rpm drills and they suck ass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts