Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to post this, but when cleaning intake and exhaust valves, what do you guys recommend using as the solvent? I'm thinking a brass wire brush and kerosene should do the trick. Also, do you clean the face of the valve, the part that faces the piston, or just the head of the valve? First timer here.:wavey:

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
When you find out, let me know. I have used brake cleaner (my favorite) amd the Gunk carb and parts cleaner 1 gallon dip. If I dip first and use carb cleaner 2nd that seems to work the best, but still not good enough. There is some water based stuf called "Piston Kleen" I want to try it, but have not.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Wire wheel. Don't stay on one place too long (rotate) and yes you do the surface that would face the piston. Carefull of the seating surface. Or just a wire brush if you aren't comfortable.

Ishii

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
I'd let them soak in kerosene if they are really dirty for an hour or so. Then hit them with a wire wheel/brush as stated above.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Reviving old thread.... bronze brush?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also curious for cleaning while in the head (i.e - when changing valve stems with valves in place) should brake cleaner be ok?

·
boost life
2,507 Posts
try using atf fluid . it dissolves carbon . when i decarbonize piston dishes while still in car , i pour alittle on the top of piston and let sit for a day or two and piston tops wipe clean as new . this block and pistons had 107k miles on them

·
Registered
739 Posts
Lexforlife .Are you sure that you pistons where only soaked in atf? When i cleaned my spare 93' 2jz pistons with petrol and steelwool they had a brown-goldish color(like a coating) on top.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
i like the wire wheel my self but if you don't think you can do it then do what Lex said and use ATF. i've done this many times to clean pistons and it makes them like new again.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
i like the wire wheel my self but if you don't think you can do it then do what Lex said and use ATF. i've done this many times to clean pistons and it makes them like new again.
i wouldnt use a wire wheel, too much chance of causing the seating surface to become uneven if you happen to accidentally hit 1 spot too long.

best to soak it in a solution or some atf, pull them out and if they need it, use a brass brush as the brass wont cause problems with wearing down the seating surfaces on the valves. you can even get small brass wire wheels for dremel heads, super simple and easy to use. and a lot safer than a wire wheel on a stand

·
boost life
2,507 Posts
i built the customers car and only use atf to de carbonize stock used pistons .. what you see in pic id after 2 days of soaking and then wipe clean , thats it

·
Registered
228 Posts
i built the customers car and only use atf to de carbonize stock used pistons .. what you see in pic id after 2 days of soaking and then wipe clean , thats it
That's a neat trick. I'm guessing the detergent in the ATF removes the carbon buildup and also it won't dry up during those two days.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
interesting, ATF can dissolve hard baked on carbon on the valves and pistons? ill have to try that sometime

1 - 14 of 14 Posts