Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· iSketch Master!
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like the title says. I've been working on my car for some time and it's come time that I will be putting the transmission back in soon, and my diff looks like hell as well.

With that said, what do you guys use to clean the grimiest of grime from your cars? I did the front subframe just with some simple green and a wire brush, that was a complete PITA. Is there anything you guys have tried that, with a little soak time, you can just take a pressure washer or a stiff brush and scrub it right off?

I'm getting tired of cleaning as I just scrubbed the hell out of my fender wells, and other driveline components, and miscellaneous parts/bolts/nuts. I just wish there was a less labor intensive way of doing this. If not then I guess I'll keep at it! TIA.

Alex

· iSketch Master!
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I had a steamer! Thanks for bringing that up, I might just go get one. I haven't had any of it, but do they make anything in a foam? It usually works better on things that are still on the car.

I do have a pressure washer, but it is a crapper Karcher. I think it's only about 1500psi. I might be able to borrow my friend's gas one though.

Alex

· MKIV owner since 1998
2,889 Posts
I wish I had a steamer! Thanks for bringing that up, I might just go get one. I haven't had any of it, but do they make anything in a foam? It usually works better on things that are still on the car.

I do have a pressure washer, but it is a crapper Karcher. I think it's only about 1500psi. I might be able to borrow my friend's gas one though.

Alex
GPM is more important than psi to me, but either way that should be enough, especially if it has a foaming container for a detergent. Put a degreaser in there and foam the area and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then pressure rinse off, it works really well.

· iSketch Master!
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used it on the subframe and it wasn't enough at all. I soaked it in simple green, and sprayed it. Only a little came off slowly. I ended up just scrubbing, then spraying, then scrubbing, rinse, repeat. It would be pointless on the diff. :lol:

It doesn't have a foamer, but it has a detergent mixer (doesn't help really). I was going to buy a foam gun for cleaning cars from autogeek, but I don't think the degreaser will foam up. I can add some soap to it to help I guess.

Why would GPM matter when trying to blast baked on grime off? More water shouldn't make a difference, right? No one has used any degreasers that foam right out the can though?

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.