Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys use to clean your engine bay? I'm so tired of things looking so dirty! :die:

How would I go about cleaning the 3000 pipe (without getting the shiny polished look), front timing cover, coil pack cover and so on?

Thanks!

-Nick-

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
cans of starter fluid works good to get the grease off of everything.
for the 3000 pipe, just get some sand paper and sand it down a little bit or as much as you want and polish it. same goes for the intake manifold.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MK3Brent: Really? I guess I've just been too skeptical to try it. I'll be damned. :lol:

What kind of look will it give me? I know I shouldn't be worried about look I just don't want to get the reflective or shiny polished look.

Just want to keep it looking like new.

Thanks for the starter fluid tip man.

-Nick-

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
pull everything out and paint it

lol.. degreaser works good.. and a lot of elbow grease..

·
Bad boys, bad boys
290 Posts
Scotchbrite pads are AMAZING for getting TOUGH grime off of things like 3000 pipes, faded paint, etc.

No "polished" look, just makes it look brand new. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scotchbrite pads are AMAZING for getting TOUGH grime off of things like 3000 pipes, faded paint, etc.

No "polished" look, just makes it look brand new. :)
Boost Lee: Could you elaborate a little on that because it sounds like a good solution. What cleaner did you use or was it just the scotchbright pad?

Thanks a lot guys! Keep em coming! :D

-Nick-

·
Registered
222 Posts
simple green or spray nine (degreaser) a rag and a bucket of hot water, hit the car wash late nite and spray everything down first,(cover filter/vital ignition areas,spark plug valley) also you can use a tooth-brush for hard to reach spots. wipe down and scrub what you can reach and power-wash the rest......and afterwards if you like get a can of spray silicone and spray it on your rubber parts then wipe them down, its a good conditioner for all the haet under there and it looks good too......its made by permatex...

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
greased lightning will clean grease easy!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
simple green sux

use a GOOD engine degreaser/detailer

see here (also has pics of my engine bay after using it)
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226748
Great man, I appreciate that link, it's a fantastic write up. It helps but I am a little paranoid on spraying my engine back with a pressure washer as I'm not that confident in the wiring staying. I suppose I'll cover up all wiring, and the intake then give it a go.

Since I'm at school now I can't do this but I really love the input. Should be home in 4 weeks and will give updates then. :)

Thanks! Keep em coming if you have any input!

-Nick-

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
Simple Green or Castrol Superclean works fine for me. I also tried the engine degreaser from Autozone, and they do work good.

but if I were you, I would take off the upper IC pipes, coil pack, sparkplug wires and disconnect the battery. and make sure the engine is cold. also, scotchbrite works well on getting the thick dirt / grease out.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
castrol superclean will remove paint, and if it doesn't take it off entirely, it will dull it

also eats aluminum...

do NOT....I repeat... DO NOT use a pressure washer on your engine!!!

Don't focus too much water in the spark plug valley or sensative electronics, but most of the engine bay can be hosed done pretty well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts