Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I start, here are the turn signals I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935316266&category=33717

I started with the clear lamps above. After taking the factory UGLY orange ones off, I knew I had a challenge ahead of me.
There are 3 big differences between the 93-96's and the 97-98's.

1) 3 bolts instead of 2. To tackle this, I will remove one of them and use 3M molding tape to secure the turn signal to the bumper cover. Although not needed, I used the tape to make sure of a perfect fit

The aftermarket bolt just screws out, so no cutting the factory bumper cover will be needed!

2) The 97-98's have the marker in the turn signal. I am going to eliminate this by making custom harness filler's, so no trash can get in the previous hole.

I made some cover's out of thin aluminum and polished it to match the chrome housing inside the lamp.

I cut them polyganol(sp?) so they could be pressed in firmly and then hot glued them to the housing to seal it.

Here is a pic of one finished vs. the unfinished one:

3) The 97-98's have a different turn signal harness pattern. I modified the aftermarket housing by cutting it out large enough to squeeze the 93-96 harness in and although it was secure I made sure it wasnt coming out by beading it with hot glue.

After purchasing a $40 set of clear lamps, a $1 glue gun, and a $5 roll of 3M tape(optional) you have a set of clear 97-98 lamps for <$50 with no cutting or modification to your factory bumper or wiring system.

If you have any questions about this, you can contact me thru PM or by e-mail. This is probably not as good a writeup as Brad would do, but it is my first one:D

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
659 Posts
just a question: what kind of bulbs did you use with the new lamps? I guess you did not use the stock ones because they're white, and without an orange lens in front of them they would flash white :D

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the stock white bulbs although they came with the amber ones. The white actually shows up better than amber IMO. I dont think white front turn signals are illegal either, just the rears.

Jason

·
Registered
659 Posts
what was like the bulb that came with the turn signals? left one (stock supra bulb) or right one? I ask you cause i do not know of the existance of orange bulbs in the shape of the stock supra bulb!

link of pic, if it doesn't show up: http://digilander.libero.it/nicoimmagini/IMG_2236.JPG

Thanks 4 the info!

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car has the ones on the right as stock,but they are clear? I dont know what the ones on the left are?

Jason

·
Registered
659 Posts
the one on the left is the stock front turn signal bulb for 93-96 and 97-98 supras. The one pictured is actually taken from a 98 front signal bought from Curt! Maybe in the aftermarket you have they fitted the other one (afaik it's only in orange, though!)

·
Registered
500 Posts
personally, I like the look of the Supra 97+ turn signals with the 2/3 amber and 1/3 crystal look. The complete crystal look is a little ricey for me.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUMP, I have been asked by another member for the writeup. All of my info was lost when my computer crashed last month. I sent this out to alot of people, and honestly I dont remember even one of them. If someone received this from me and they still have the writeup and pics, please either PM me or respond here.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
583 Posts
Cosmic Chaos said:
what was like the bulb that came with the turn signals? left one (stock supra bulb) or right one? I ask you cause i do not know of the existance of orange bulbs in the shape of the stock supra bulb!
Those are 7440's. Polarg makes them in amber.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ttt, I know somebody has this info.

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts