Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clear coat has been slowly coming off on one of my fenders and a small spot on my front bumper ever since I bought the car... lately I realized that everytime it rains and the car dries out in the sun, it makes it worse.... I am planning on getting the whole car painted but its not in the list of things to do right now... I was wondering if there is a way to patch up clear coat or atleast a temp fix to take the attention away from it.. I was thinking about bringing it to maaco to see if they can do something temporarily... since its really an eye sore to look at :(

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
I was thinking about bringing it to maaco to see if they can do something temporarily... since its really an eye sore to look at :(
Maaco??? You can't be serious. Go to a few local body shops and tell them a rival shops best quote. Haggle them down a little bit and you can get it done right for a good price. And they will do a better job than any 1 day paint type place.

Mike

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
if i were you i would just go to auto zone and get a can of clear top coat and spray that on. just scrape away all the clear coat that is already comming off then spray that stuff. don't do anything too expensive if your just gonna paint it later anyway.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Re: Re: clear coat "patching" ?

MDSuPeRStAr said:
Maaco??? You can't be serious. Go to a few local body shops and tell them a rival shops best quote. Haggle them down a little bit and you can get it done right for a good price. And they will do a better job than any 1 day paint type place.

Mike

He's only talking about a temporary fix until he has good paint money later on.

kirkMKIV - I only saw a part of your pic so far (i have dial-up), and thats a pretty bad spot :( You do not have much choice for a quick fix! The only cheap and easy thing you could do would be to maybe touch up the edge of the flaking clear with a clear fingernail polish or maybe some clear out of a spray can (onto a touch-up brush)......only to slow the flaking down some. It won't look pretty again or anything. You basically need a repaint.....there's no quick fix to make that much flaking disappear.That paint DEFINITELY has an adhesion problem from the last guy who sprayed it (but you already know this). Also, you can't scrape off the rest of the clear because if you even try, you'll end up scraping through the basecoat (the color) accidentally since basecoat isn't thick at all, and won't withstand scraping.

sean

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
supralover93 said:
if i were you i would just go to auto zone and get a can of clear top coat and spray that on. just scrape away all the clear coat that is already comming off then spray that stuff.

In theory this is a logical idea, but in reality it's just not that simple :(
Even though he has severe flaking going on, he will come across some spots where the clearcoat wont get scraped off that easily (without ruining the basecoat layers).

It's a black car, so if he wants a quick fix, he could just pay a shop to sand and paint just that panel --- that can't cost, maybe $150-200 max if he shops around and explains he just wants a temp. fix

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may think about maaco just as a temporary fix for now, I just have other things to get out of the way first before I can get a full paint job.. if maaco can math the same black as the rest of the car I would consider them just because its cheap. That fender doesn't have a vin on it which makes me think the car has been knocked on that fender before and they had it taken to an el cheapo paint shop to get it painted, since the rest of the car is fine except for the front bumper and that fender... front bumper has clear coat peeling but only about half of an inch..

Would lear fingernail polish really help to stop the peeling for now? Everytime it rains and dries out on the sun it gets worse.. :(

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
kirkMKIV said:

Would lear fingernail polish really help to stop the peeling for now? Everytime it rains and dries out on the sun it gets worse.. :(

I mentioned clear nail polish only because I assume you dont have any real clearcoat sitting in your garage right now :D
The other thing you could use is clear from a spraypaint can (spray into a cup, then stick a small brush in it for touch-up). I mean, if it really does get worse, that easily, and you are looking to make it either stop or slow down, then whatever way you can get a thin bead of clear along the flaking edge should help out some.
Keep in mind, I am talking about just running a thin bead along the edge of the flaking paint. This should help "glue" down the edge to some degree.....and probably help it slow down until you get it painted. The fender won't look any worse than it does already, so it's worth the experiment :) Just use a small model paint brush and try a couple inches.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help man, Everytime its been raining Ive been trying to hit it with the shammy so it doesn't dry off with the sun and get worse. What you said about the clear from the spray can makes alot of sense, I just didn't want to attempt something without knowing that there might be a better temporary solution. I will do that to stop it for now and go to a couple of shops and see what they can do for me.... thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
kirkMKIV -

I just saw the pic better....earlier, I didn't acknowledge the fact that your fender still shines good beneath the flaking clear. Am I seeing this right? Is your paint shinning underneath that flaking crap??? Or can you see sand scratches from the "prep" it got?

^^^ If the fender looks decent after the clear flakes, then just blow the shit out of it with an air hose with an air blower on the end of it. It looks like that clear will jump right off the fender (this is very possible in your case). If you don't have access to air and a blower, then pressure wash it at a local self car wash place. Whatever you do, dont scrape it with a razor blade....you will most likely scar the basecoat.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a little bit more dull than the rest of the fender.. but I wax the car all the time so it gets shiny.. I wax that area the most so it blends in with the rest of the fender

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
It's a little bit more dull than the rest of the fender.. but I wax the car all the time so it gets shiny.. I wax that area the most so it blends in with the rest of the fender

Do you know if that's clearcoat under the clear that's flaking? Or is it bare basecoat (color)?
Shit, I'm thinking if you have clear under there from a different paint job (or the factory paint and shine), then you might be able to buff it out some?? I'm taking a shot in the dark here since pics only show so much. But in any case, you can lessen the area of the flaking effect by blowing that shit off with either air or water. If nothing else, at least it will reduce the amount of flaking clear that you'll otherwise be trying to touch up with the brush.
Blow the shit out of it first, then run that bead of clear afterwards on the edges of clear that won't come off.
I think that's the easiest and cheapest thing you can do shy of repainting it at a cheap shop.

G

·
0 Posts
I thought the Toyota solid colors were not clear coated.

Unless you have problems other places on the car I'd probably just have the fender repainted and be satisfied. I can't imagine it costing more than a couple hundred if that.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
greensoup2 said:
I thought the Toyota solid colors were not clear coated.
The black isn't clearcoated.......I only asked my question that way in case he bought the car after someone else maybe repaired that fender. I mean, someone DID paint that fender before, but I'm wondering if what he has underneath the flaking clear is maybe ANOTHER paint job also (2+ paint jobs on that fender??).

G

·
0 Posts
blkturbo! said:
The black isn't clearcoated.......I only asked my question that way in case he bought the car after someone else maybe repaired that fender. I mean, someone DID paint that fender before, but I'm wondering if what he has underneath the flaking clear is maybe ANOTHER paint job also (2+ paint jobs on that fender??).
Oh I wasn't replying to you. I think I only read the first two posts and wondered about the clear. Which I guess you also posted about.

I'd still just have the fender redone by a decent shop. Everyone plans to repair their car, but its something that's always planned for tomorrow and it never gets done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts