Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car reccently got sprayed, and some clear/paint went on the window seals.. whats the best thing to take this off without damaging the seal?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The best thing I can think of is to pick it off with your fingernail. Just take you time if you have a lot. Peel up the seal and allow it to flex and crack the clear....then pick.....and so-on.
The quarter glasses will probably be tougher since you cant get your fingernail under them and they don't flex anyway :(

If you have it bad, it may be easier to mask it off really good and dust some exterior flat black on them to kill the clearcoat shine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my car when it got shot. Actually, my car was repainted red before I bought it, and I had it painted RSP. The previous red paint job wasn't done too well, and many of my seals had red on them that I needed to remove. I either used my finger or a razor blade to scrape off the base and/or clear. If you use a razor blade, be very careful or you may cut into the seal.

After you scrape it all off, the seals may look dry in the spots that were scraped. I used a plastic conditioner that moistened the plastic and got rid of the dry look. I don't remember the name of the stuff cause It was in an unmarked bottle at my friend's shop. If you go you napa or pep boys they should have something that should do the trick.

Like blkturbo! said, if you have it pretty badly you may be better off taping off the seals and spraying them. My friend who painted my car said this is often done to older cars instead of replacing the seals.
Good Luck,
Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts