Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone know polished parts are constant maintenance, and chrome pits over time and is expensive. I have heard of people polishing aluminum and then scuffing the surface and applying a clear coat but then you get a foggy viper wheel look. I spoke with a shop today who says he polishes aluminum pieces and then has clear powdercoat applied and no scuffing is necessary. Has anyone heard of clear powdercoat or have any experience with this?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
all the pieces I've seen done just dont look as good as they did before , I actually have few pieces done on my GS 400, timing covers and intake mani ,by now I'm sure you can get chrome pwdercoating, my guy tried few years ago and I guess didnt get the hang of it, cause he just got that stuff, it looked chrome,but when he tried to apply the clear powder or whatever it's called it made it look kinda dull,maybe by now he can do it, I don't know. there is another way to have something like that done by clear ceramic coating , I would try that
Stefan

·
Registered
934 Posts
yeah all my polished pieces got abit duller.... but my supra isnt always garage kept so i aint gonna polish things every weekend

G

·
Clear powders have gotten MUCH better! Just polish the piece the way you want it to always be and then have it coated. NO scuffing needed because once the clear goes on, what you see is what you get. Here is a picture of a wheel coated in the center and then clear applied to the entire surface...

And as mentioned in another post in this thread, there is a chrome powder available. While NOTHING looks like real chrome except plating....this is a definite option now.

-Kevin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Back from the dead. Anyone else have any first-hand experience with clear powdercoating over polished or chromed surfaces?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts