Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished repolishing my stock polished wheels and am trying to decide whether to clearcoat them or not. I noticed that they were a little duller with the stock clearcoating on them compared to the bare aluminum. Also, has anyone clearcoated them themselves with canned clear laquer (ie Rustoleum), and what would be the advantages of taking them somewhere to be clearcoated over doing it myself? I think most manufacturers are not clearcoating polished wheels anymore because of problems with the clearcoat pealing off such a smooth surface. Thanks

Dan

·
3,148 Posts
Clear coated wheels are not painted. It will not stick. I believe they are clear anodized.

Later, Steve

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, what year wheels do you have, 98's or 97's. Mine are 98's and I've tried the aircraft striper and some Clear coat striper from caswell but there's still something coating them in certain areas???

What will remove "clear anodized"?

http://www.caswellplating.com/frames.php?bottom=/clearcoat.htm

Steve Jarvis said:
Clear coated wheels are not painted. It will not stick. I believe they are clear anodized.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dan, how did you polish the wheels? What method did you use? I have a set of stock silver wheels that I had polished by a shop and I can tell you this much, they are hard to keep clean. They don't have a clear coat on them and I wish they did!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From talking with several people about polished wheels, they say the last thing I'd wanna do is clear coat them. The clear coat dulls the finish, and will more than likely bubble up and flake off from the heat. I called a local wheel refurbishment shop and they said they can't even guarantee the clearcoat (if they apply it) once the car leaves the shop, and they didn't recommend clearcoating them anyway.

My wheels came off a '97. I sprayed that aircraft coating remover on and let it bubble up for about 3 minutes, then wiped them off. Some areas I had to go back over spraying and letting it soak for only a few seconds before wiping it off. One of my wheels is slightly bend and vibrates around 75mph, so I started polishing on one of my original '94 silver wheels. They are much much much rougher and will require a lot more work than I did on the '97 polished wheels. On the '97's, I basically sanded the lip and some rough spots (one wheel I did the whole thing) with 120, 240, 600, then wetsanded with 1000, 1500, 2000. Then used a lot of wheel polish till I got to where I could see my reflection.

Dan

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dan thanks for the answer. I am thinking about repolishing some or all of my wheels myself. Do you think that since they are already polished I could skip right to the 1500 then 2000 wetsandpaper (or maybe just go right to the 2000) and then finish with wheel polish?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the surface underneath (assuming they are clearcoated factories) is in good condition, I would leave it on and sand down any curb rash on the lip (the clearcoat protects against accidental F'ups). Then remove the coating with some kind of remover. I would not repolish any surfaces that appear pretty reflective already, I have not been able to get the surfaces I polished up to the quality of polishing job they came with from the factory. Biggest improvement came from removing the clearcoating, which was scuffed up in several places. The difference between what I've repolished and the factory polish jobs is small, I could see my reflection in the factory finish a little clearer. Hope this helps. I haven't had enough time to see what a pain in the ass they are to keep clean, though.

Dan

Note to everyone, I'm looking for one polished rear replacement wheel to replace my slightly bent one on the back, wobbles a little at 70mph.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I just read your post before. Your wheels were repolished. If there's no deep scratches, I would start with either 1000 or probably 1500 grit working up to 2000 grit (wetsanding is a must). I'm trying to locate a wheel polish called "Extreme" or something that a local wheel shop guy recommended.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clearcoat not recommended

Friend of mine had some RH C5's repaired. Some Ca. company did nice job,but said clearcoat will not work. they urethane coated instead--looks good-supposed to hold up. Don't have any more info on type of urethane.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dan, thanks for getting back to me on this. Yeah, when I had the tires taken off my polished wheels (currently I am on a set of winter use stock silver wheels) the shop put a few scratches on the flat surfaces of the wheels (damn them!!) Anyhow, after reading this thread I think I may summon up the courage to attack the wheels myself.

Jake, if you can get any info on that urethane coating that would be great!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I coated a set of polished wheels awhile back and they turned green from the spraycan urethane,dulled the "felony wetlook shine" also ,so I just stripped them and left them as high maintenance items.
Powdercoating is also a good way to go with wheels,but I try and leave the factory finish on them all now.

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
for whats its worth------

Transwheel Corp
2775 Katherine Way
Elkgrove Village,Il.60007

They can repair and powder coat clear on factory alloy wheels.

I had a pair done on a Viper for $125ea {repair curb rash -re powder coat in clear}

1 - 12 of 12 Posts