Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my car is a 95 tt 6-speed (if that has anything to do with it) this just started like 3 days ago when i turn the ignition to start the car all i get is a one click and the car doesnt start or eve try to turn over i just get one click up until today every time i tryed to start it the second time it started up fine. today when i turned the key the second time it di the same and just gave me one click, then when i went to start it up the third time it started up fine. what could it be? my battery seems to be fine. any ideas?

·
Old School
314 Posts
I've been having the same problem. The best place to check is the battery terminals, specifically your ground. My cables keep coming loose and I get the same problem.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
it sounds like a battery issue to me. do you have any corrosion?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You may have a starter problem if the battery checks out OK.
The contacts in your starter could be worn. This will cause the intermittant clicking issue.

Solution is to replace the contacts or get a rebuilt starter.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the info i will check out those places

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
My money is on the starter. If you have the know how I would recommend taking it apart and checking everything. I've got 178k miles on my original. About once a year or every 1.5 years I've had to take it out clean the commutator and reassemble to keep it going.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tech said:
You may have a starter problem if the battery checks out OK.
The contacts in your starter could be worn. This will cause the intermittant clicking issue.

Solution is to replace the contacts or get a rebuilt starter.
Ditto what was said here. I just replaced the contacts in the starter a couple of weeks ago. The car would just make one loud click when trying to start, and I knew the battery was good.

I ordered up the contacts from Curt, about $20 including shipping and install was pretty easy once the starter was out. Make sure you have several long 3/8" extensions and a 3/8" wobbler to get to the bolts, otherwise I doubt you'd be able to easily get them out. I still have the worn contacts sitting on the workbench at home, perhaps I'll snap a couple of pics so people have an idea of what actually causes the problem.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where can i get those contact and if you could please post some pics of what worn contacts look like. thanks

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Had the exsact problem a couple off months ago!!! 110 procent its your starter that is worn!!!

Mvh.
Runi :dj:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe...

It might be your alarm... my car had a aftermarket POS and it wont let me start my car... i had to keep on trying til it works... dunno.. my friend had the same prob... had aftermarket and factory alarm(havent taken out) caused soo much trouble.. my mechanical temp. bypass and installed a wire from the ignition the starter... now i start my car without push in the clutch... kinda weird.. but works... hope this helps...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the problem when the terminals get loose. The stock positive terminal is so weak. I have replaced mine twice now it is wearing out again. I am gonna get a rockford fosgate battery terminal to stop this once and for all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the gauge cluster and lights are exremely dim or don't come on at all your battery is disconnected or dead.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=485860#post485860

a somewhat common problem. I cant find the part numbers for the conectors, but that is the problem....i'm telling you that IS the problem. if you want to fix it temporarily you can take the starter off and clean the conectors & coneections off...that will stop it for a month or so...but it will be back. try a search for the part numbers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wobbler???

cameron9 said:
Ditto what was said here. I just replaced the contacts in the starter a couple of weeks ago. The car would just make one loud click when trying to start, and I knew the battery was good.

I ordered up the contacts from Curt, about $20 including shipping and install was pretty easy once the starter was out. Make sure you have several long 3/8" extensions and a 3/8" wobbler to get to the bolts, otherwise I doubt you'd be able to easily get them out. I still have the worn contacts sitting on the workbench at home, perhaps I'll snap a couple of pics so people have an idea of what actually causes the problem.
What do you mean by a wobbler? Are you talking about a socket 14mm for the starter bolt, but the socket wobbles up and down to get into the hard to reach places?

·
Registered
342 Posts
He is talking about a 1/2 " universal joint attachement. Some people call it a wiggle neck. That plus (2) 6" extensions will have the bolts out in no time. Did the starter contact replacement about a month ago. Had the same problem as your having. Car would make one loud click when I turned the key. After it started in the morning, and warmed up, it would be fine the rest of the day. It got worse as time went on. Eventually I would have to turn the key at least 10 times before it would finally turn over. I changed the contacts and no more problems. If you take your starter off, remove the contacts, and take them to the dealership they can match them. These same contacts were used in numerous toyota vehicles. Cost @ $20 bucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts