Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There's a weird clicking sound that speeds up with my car coming from my front two wheels. It sounds like a combination click/stick sound (kind of like you're peeling a sticker from a surface over and over, rhythmically).

When I have the car up in the air and spin the wheels it doesn't happen, so it's really hard to diagnose.

I think it might be my wheel bearings, but there's no play in the wheel when I shake it. It might also be my tire just acting funny.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
285 Posts
yah dood.. could be wheel bearings .. vertical pressure and spinning.... the only item really affected during that phase is the wheel bearing... good luck in finding the culprit!

·
Very Senior Member
10,058 Posts
TRDSupraSE said:
I would think its a nail in the tire....i dunno...worth a look at:p
This was my first thought, as well.
It's happened to me before.

·
Registered
709 Posts
clicking sound

Do you have stock wheels or after market. I found that one of my lugs came off and was making a weird noise after every rotation.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Actually, I've got an idea.
I installed slotted and drilled rotors on my front brakes, when I upgraded the calipers, but I don't use a brace plate to hold the pads back. I've noticed that there's a kind of sliding noise like something is dragging slightly on the surface, and when it goes over a slot, a kind of quiet thtuck sound. All this is at low speed, and pretty much dissapears about 40+KPH (25MPH).

T

·
0 Posts
Definately check the lugs are torqued, and check to make sure that the wheels aren't cracked. A buddy of mine had cracked wheels on his v-r4 and it sounded like that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had this same sound from my rear passenger wheel, turned out to be the wheel bearing. I put the car up on jack stands, had no play in the wheel, could never reproduce the sound by just turning the wheel. In fact, really the only time I noticed it was when I drove right next to a curb, and slowly. The faster I went I just couldn't hear it due to road noise, wind, etc.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eugene,

Yup sounds exactly right.

Thanks for your help, how much trouble/money was it?

thanks.

Eugene said:
I had this same sound from my rear passenger wheel, turned out to be the wheel bearing. I put the car up on jack stands, had no play in the wheel, could never reproduce the sound by just turning the wheel. In fact, really the only time I noticed it was when I drove right next to a curb, and slowly. The faster I went I just couldn't hear it due to road noise, wind, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts