Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I have a little project I want to share with you as I'll be creating 3D parts which could be useful for someone else.

I want to modify my clock (replace the 7-segments display by a 2.23in oled display, arduino driven) and replace the clock controls plate by a custom one to put my own buttons to drive the arduino. I also want to integrate custom gauges in the cluster to replace water temp, fuel, oil pressure, turbo. I plan on using the arduino for my fuel level so I'm freeing the fuel gauge spot for something more pertinent.

-----------------------------
Edit: Adding all thingiverse links here instead of everywhere

Clock
Blank clock control plate

Gauges
Water Temp gauge adapter plate for Innovate Motorsports gauge
Fuel gauge adapter plate for AEM x-series gauge
Oil gauge adapter plate for AEM x-series gauge
Boost gauge adapter plate for AEM x-series gauge

-----------------------------

I just completed the first part of the project, quite simple one, replacement clock controls plate. It has the original mounts so its a direct replacement. The part on thingiverse

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Hardwood Auto part

Rectangle Wood Auto part Metal Bumper
Bumper Automotive exterior Cable Electrical wiring Bicycle part
Composite material Bumper Engineering Wood Electronics accessory
Bicycle part Wood Rim Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its pouring rain today so I kept going in FreeCAD and have been able to complete my first gauge adapter! Its made to replace the left gauge (water temp) by an innovate motorsports gauge (oil pressure + temp). Quite happy with my design! The actual part is just for test and doesn't have a nice finish, I will probably end up printing the final one in resin. One done, three more to go! :)

Innovate gauge adapter on thingiverse

Speedometer Tachometer Motor vehicle Gauge Vehicle

Sleeve Finger Creative arts Thumb Nail
Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument Machine Automotive wheel system
Gauge Motor vehicle Speedometer Measuring instrument Vehicle

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
682 Posts
Its pouring rain today so I kept going in FreeCAD and have been able to complete my first gauge adapter! Its made to replace the left gauge (water temp) by an innovate motorsports gauge (oil pressure + temp). Quite happy with my design! The actual part is just for test and doesn't have a nice finish, I will probably end up printing the final one in resin. One done, three more to go! :)

Innovate gauge adapter on thingiverse

View attachment 276330

View attachment 276327 View attachment 276329 View attachment 276328
This is awesome! I was just trying to fit an AEM wideband into the oil pressure gauge location. But I gave up because it's too tall

·
Registered
319 Posts
Turbo cars that don't have a voltmeter can get one easily by buying a USB adapter that fits in the cigarette lighter which also has volt readout. I plugged it in before the car was started and noticed that the voltage increased after starting indicating that the alternator was functioning. If you plug something into the USB part then it will change to amps draw for that device.
Here are some examples on eBay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is awesome! I was just trying to fit an AEM wideband into the oil pressure gauge location. But I gave up because it's too tall
Thanks! The other 3 gauges I want to fit are AEM, but x-series ones, which are quite thin even without undressing them. I have good hope I'll be able to make them fit.

Turbo cars that don't have a voltmeter can get one easily by buying a USB adapter that fits in the cigarette lighter which also has volt readout. I plugged it in before the car was started and noticed that the voltage increased after starting indicating that the alternator was functioning. If you plug something into the USB part then it will change to amps draw for that device.
Here are some examples on eBay.
These little things are cool indeed! On my project, I plan to read voltage with my arduino and show it on the oled display which will replace my clock.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,484 Posts
Very nice! I was considering printing a complete cluster replacement, but I'm going to wait for my Revo Mini 3d scanner to arrive so I can scan the stock one. I'm not sure exactly which one yet, but I'll be using a digital dash like the Powertune.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! I was considering printing a complete cluster replacement, but I'm going to wait for my Revo Mini 3d scanner to arrive so I can scan the stock one. I'm not sure exactly which one yet, but I'll be using a digital dash like the Powertune.
This is really nice, please don't forget to share the scans when you'll have them! ;) One of these days I'll get a scanner too, but for now, the Supra is taking all my available money :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another one completed, boost gauge adapter! :cool: I'm using an AEM x-series gauge there. The thickness of the AEM gauge is significantly thinner than the Innovate Motorsports which is great, but the PCB's diameter of the AEM is larger than the Innovate, which makes the fit tighter. In fact, I had to do a little grinding to make it fit but nothing major.

AEM boost gauge adapter on Thingiverse

Blue Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Circuit component Finger Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Computer hardware
Automotive tire Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Automotive wheel system
Gauge Aircraft Flight instruments Cockpit Gas

·
Registered
549 Posts
wow this is a cool project! i'll be watching with interest!

that innovate oil temp/pres gauge is on my shortlist, interested in your feedback on it once you get it functional.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow this is a cool project! i'll be watching with interest!

that innovate oil temp/pres gauge is on my shortlist, interested in your feedback on it once you get it functional.
Thanks! :) np about reviewing the innovate gauge when I'll have it working.

More progress, oil pressure gauge adapter plate completed!

AEM oil pressure adapter on thingiverse

This one took a little more grinding, but nothing major. It starts to look good! :)

Blue Gauge Measuring instrument Gas Motor vehicle

Gauge Motor vehicle Auto part Measuring instrument Gas
Gauge Electrical wiring Speedometer Measuring instrument Motor vehicle
Gas Plastic Space Electric blue Pattern

·
Canada, Eh?
2,484 Posts
This is really nice, please don't forget to share the scans when you'll have them! ;) One of these days I'll get a scanner too, but for now, the Supra is taking all my available money :p
Ya, if I can get a good scan out of it I will.

You'r adapters are looking great. How are you going to access the gauge buttons? Leaving the clear cover off?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, if I can get a good scan out of it I will.

You'r adapters are looking great. How are you going to access the gauge buttons? Leaving the clear cover off?
I hope you'll be able to get a good scan, thanks :)

About the gauge buttons, I plan on designing custom longer buttons and use a soldering iron to make holes for them in the clear cover, as it is for the trip meter reset button.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You say this as if you expect that to change at some point in the future. Oh... I see you're still somewhat new around here. :p

Kidding aside, looking good! A word of advice to anyone going to a digital dash, don't buy one for a FUTURE project. This is one of those technologies that have come a long way in a short time. I bought a AIM dash, and while it is useful in regards to data provided and customization, it's mono color, and small enough on the rev display that it's basically pointless for trying to shift by periphery vision. Had I waited to buy until I was actually at that point in the project, I could have had one of those full color, analog-like round tachs with a digital needle... would have been much better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You say this as if you expect that to change at some point in the future. Oh... I see you're still somewhat new around here. :p
loll not that new! haha My old account was lost at some point, but I'm lurking here since late 90's, have old posts tagged as guest in the early 2000's :p I've been bit by the mod bug in late 90's, and the thing started to dig the "bottomless money pit" in 2000 when I got my supra haha I'm aware it's an non curable disease :p I just hope to be rich some day to somewhat reduce the impact on my budget lolll :p

Kidding aside, looking good! A word of advice to anyone going to a digital dash, don't buy one for a FUTURE project. This is one of those technologies that have come a long way in a short time. I bought a AIM dash, and while it is useful in regards to data provided and customization, it's mono color, and small enough on the rev display that it's basically pointless for trying to shift by periphery vision. Had I waited to buy until I was actually at that point in the project, I could have had one of those full color, analog-like round tachs with a digital needle... would have been much better.
Thanks! You're so right about your advice, things gets old / outdated quite quickly, especially in the embedded display world!

So, fuel gauge adapter is completed! I will edit the first post and put all the thingiverse links together there instead of everywhere in the thread.

No grinding at all for this one! The low fuel light tunnel needs to be out of the way but luckily, it's clipped there so a breeze to remove!

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Gauge

Hand Finger Tool Nail Thumb
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Finger Engineering
Automotive design Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas Gadget
Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Steering wheel

Next, screen (screens?) adapters.

At first I was only thinking about replacing the clock by a screen, but I'm now flirting with the idea of adding a second smaller oled screen in the TEMS window area, there's plenty of room...! Fuel / Volt could be there instead of being on the clock screen... hmmm...

I received my 2.3in oled screen, it will be a very nice fit! :)

Finger Gadget Auto part Electronic device Machine

Finger Gadget Gas Laptop accessory Bumper
Passive circuit component Circuit component Light Hardware programmer Breadboard

·
Registered
33 Posts
That’s so awesome. I bought the TRD style speedometer and tachometer from NightRunGarage a while back that I plan on installing in the future. This would be a perfect retrofit alternative to digi-dashes to add on.

·
Registered
Supra - Targa 87 with 7MGE, A340E, and sports package. 7MGTE being built currently
7 Posts
At first I was only thinking about replacing the clock by a screen, but I'm now flirting with the idea of adding a second smaller oled screen in the TEMS window area, there's plenty of room...! Fuel / Volt could be there instead of being on the clock screen... hmmm...
I was definitely curious this entire time as to what you had planned for all the gauges you were replacing, but you've piqued my interest. I think this is coming along nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts