Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 1990 8G5
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group,

i have try to change the clock color since it is the only thing left to match my blue led interior.
I have try the trick with the blue filter on front of the number but because the plastic cover lenses is dark green it’s impossible to let the blue show.
Does anyone have been able to change the color of the clock or made some custom plastic lense ?
Thank you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am still doing research I can’t believe that in 30+ years no one in the entire world tried to change the clock colors without success 🤔

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of these fit? LEDs, Segmented Products Category on Adafruit Industries

If you post the size requirements, it might help finding a replacement.
Nice product there ! I didn’t know this. I will check if it could help.
But the main problem is when playing with light color mixing isn’t the same.
So making blue appear between a green plastic is near impossible

but I remember seeing a post from a member that did change is clock but I can’t find it again with google. I think it was on Supra mania or mkiii.net.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the link I was talking about. It’s not the number that was changed but the button itself for clear one. Blow my mind. Don’t know how he accomplished that.

·
92 TURBO
1,655 Posts
Nice product there ! I didn’t know this. I will check if it could help.
But the main problem is when playing with light color mixing isn’t the same.
So making blue appear between a green plastic is near impossible

but I remember seeing a post from a member that did change is clock but I can’t find it again with google. I think it was on Supra mania or mkiii.net.
^ Probably a good thing you have the regular GREEN clock display and not the GREEN supermonitor as I imagine it would be impossible to change that to a blue.
I don't mind the green, could of bought my voltage gauge in red or blue but choose green to match temp display and the supermonitor's green dot matrix display.
They claim green is easier on the eyes for nighttime driving over red, blue or white. Cars all had green lit nighttime gauge illumination years ago.

Speedometer Gauge Trip computer Vehicle Odometer
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Vehicle Trip computer
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Trip computer Font
Gauge Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Trip computer
Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that monitor is super cool and hi tech for its period. I didn’t know the existence of them.
For my clock color someone pointed me this and I feel dumb a bit..

from what I understand, usdm market had blueish clock number and cdn market had greenish clock number. Would it make sense ??

·
92 TURBO
1,655 Posts
Wow that monitor is super cool and hi tech for its period. I didn’t know the existence of them.
For my clock color someone pointed me this and I feel dumb a bit..

from what I understand, usdm market had blueish clock number and cdn market had greenish clock number. Would it make sense ??
^ It was for late 80's technnology. Time in AM/PM format, year/month/day (only goes to year 2006), mpg, gallons used, miles left to empty, elapsed timer, and all error codes by their number for engine, auto tranny, cruise control and ABS which IMO is the best feature of the supermonitor.

Nope, Clock displays are all greenish. My old clock is green display and it's 92 usdm)

EDIT: one part # for all years and markets just a different p/n for LH verses RH drive, must be the shape of to fit in the combo meter case?:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow very nice for the SM. The codes are effectively a must feature.

So this seller is telling me bullshit. Good thing I asked before.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've a spare dash, I can check at the end of the week. Chances are you can find a suitable 7-seg array that fits, at least without cutting a hole where the old clock used to be and fitting a new one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would be great if you could test it but if there is really only 1 part number for the clock it would be impossible to make blue appear behind the green film plastic cover…

it’s not the clock 7-seg that are green, it’s the plastic cover that is dark green and make number show green.

·
92 TURBO
1,655 Posts
wow very nice for the SM. The codes are effectively a must feature.

So this seller is telling me bullshit. Good thing I asked before.
^That's just the coloring of the pic he took. It's a green clock display.
Maybe others can chime in or post a pic of their clock display.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^That's just the coloring of the pic he took. It's a green clock display.
Maybe others can chime in or post a pic of their clock display.
Yes would be great. Cause he’s the one telling me it’s blue and not green. Either way he’s bullshitting me or we will learn something. Hehe.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My clock is green and looks more like a vacuum fluorescent display than LEDs. Either way, it doesn't put out any blue light, so changing the front cover to blue will not help. If you want a different color, you get to use something completely different.

it’s not the clock 7-seg that are green, it’s the plastic cover that is dark green and make number show green.
@G_Peji Have you taken the clock apart far enough to know that for sure?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My clock is green and looks more like a vacuum fluorescent display than LEDs. Either way, it doesn't put out any blue light, so changing the front cover to blue will not help. If you want a different color, you get to use something completely different.
Judging by the colour, it could very well be VFD. I'll be the first one to say I haven't paid enough attention to it, but it's very likely it is a VFD, making things slightly more complicated.

And you're right about the colour, I bet the plastic is just an ND filter to prevent you seeing into the guts of the display (maybe with a reddish tint as per era trends). A filter would've been far too much work when you can just use the right colour VFD/7seg.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's not just the color that makes it look like a VFD, but how each segment is so very evenly lit even around the little curved ends. The tinted plastic is indeed to hide the other techy bits inside that nobody wants to see, and improve contrast at the same time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts