Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I've been getting a clunk from my rear drivers side wheel since last summer. The clunk only happens at low speeds going over bumps.

The car can also feel very light at times, kind of "floaty", or as if it's on castors. I also get quite a bit of wheel spin and even some wheel hop in the wet.

I did hit a curb pretty hard with that wheel last summer, so I think I might have bent or damaged something.

I've had it into a garage a few times since the summer, but they haven't been able to find anything wrong.

Any ideas guys?

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Paul -C- said:
Hey

I've been getting a clunk from my rear drivers side wheel since last summer. The clunk only happens at low speeds going over bumps.

The car can also feel very light at times, kind of "floaty", or as if it's on castors. I also get quite a bit of wheel spin and even some wheel hop in the wet.

I did hit a curb pretty hard with that wheel last summer, so I think I might have bent or damaged something.

I've had it into a garage a few times since the summer, but they haven't been able to find anything wrong.

Any ideas guys?
wheel bearing?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to add, I also get a sort of wind type noise coming from that wheel when driving.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I think Vick's right on -- sounds like wheel bearing to me. Do some searching for threads on wheel bearings and you will find the diagnosis procedure.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I've got the car booked in a Toyota garage on Thursday, so I'll get them to check it all over.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wind noise sounds JUST like a wheel bearing, partner.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What could the clunk be? I have a very faint one myself, but can only tell it's there at low speeds, at higher speeds it probably just blends in because the wheel is spinning so much quicker. I didn't think balance would do that, and the tires are new. I don't think the riim is bent, either.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
What could the clunk be? I have a very faint one myself, but can only tell it's there at low speeds, at higher speeds it probably just blends in because the wheel is spinning so much quicker. I didn't think balance would do that, and the tires are new. I don't think the riim is bent, either.
Mine is doing it and I have a couple of more expert (Supra) opinions that one bearing needs replacement "real soon now" and the other will need it somewhat later.
I'll probably get them both done in the next couple of months. I'm not too concerned on the street right now, but getting back on the road course gives me pause!

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i have the same clunk over slow small bumps. i thought it was just a bad shock. no other noises just that once in a while.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After searching a lot on the board I thought it could be any one of the following:

Bad shock
Wheel Bearing
Bent Control Arm, or other suspension part.

Anyway, Toyota had the car yesterday and said they couldn't find what was causing the noises. The car's in another garage today. I'll post what they say later.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the Supra back from the garage... they couldn't find anything wrong.

So that's 3 garages who can't find anything :dunno:

I guess it can't be the shocks or wheel bearing, since at least one of the garages would have spotted them.

Must be something bent very slightly, or a worn/missing bushing.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Paul -C- said:
Got the Supra back from the garage... they couldn't find anything wrong.

So that's 3 garages who can't find anything :dunno:

Well, that's discouraging. I never have much faith in dealers, but it does seem like at least one of those garages could find the problem.

Anybody know what a dealer would charge to replace the wheel bearing, including parts? :dunno:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I had Newark Toyota replace my two rear wheel bearings so I'll check the invoice for what that part of the job cost because I also had them do a few other things. I'll post tomorrow after I look. Better start saving your pennies, Lar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts