Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a loud clunking noise from the drivers side wheel when I make slow sharp turns (ex.. when I'm trying to get into a parking space).

It only happens when I'm at the extreme end of steering travel.

I'm guessing a ball joint (upper or lower I'm not sure). Does anyone else have any differring insight?

If it is a balljoint can I just replace that part? or do I need to replace the entire arm?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I kinda have something like that....but as a i turn my wheel at slow speed there is a light clunking that hapens like 3 or 4 times as i turn the wheel. ok that didn't make much sense did it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ckanderson said:
I kinda have something like that....but as a i turn my wheel at slow speed there is a light clunking that hapens like 3 or 4 times as i turn the wheel. ok that didn't make much sense did it?
Actually that sounds exactly like what I'm talking about..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car i bought had that, but the dealer i bought it from somehow fixed it, also, i think my car has aftermarket ball joints, but i never checked

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
That might be ball joint, but I'm thinking wheel bearing. Mine went bad on my drivers side and that's pretty much what it did.

Easy way to test to see if that's the problem is to jack up that corner of the car and get that tire completely off of the ground. Don't loosen any lugnuts or anything. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other and push the top in and pull the top out. Do this repeatedly back and forth and see how much you can get it to move. If you have much movement, then the bearing go bye bye. If you don't have any movement, then get that tire off of there and start inspecting more things.

I'd be willing to bet wheel bearing though.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
My car clicks and pops on hard lock turns too. The problem from what I have troubleshot is the turn stops.

Part 43212C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow.. Now that is a good answer.. but like all good answers it invokes more questions...

What exactly does this part do? (Limits the angle of the turns.. yes.. but how?)

What goes wrong with this part to cause it to start making the noise? (ie. Did you notice an obvious cause?)

Is a a simple replace or adjustment?

Sorry for all the questions. I just like to know as much as possible about my cars.

·
27836-12121
1,310 Posts
Turn stop is a Plastic (urethane i think) bushing that snaps on the wheel hub and stops it when you turn the wheel all the way by rubbing against lower arm, you can easly see from underneth the car it's round nipple about 3/4" in diameter, what happanes this part usually get worn out so when you turn all the way the wheel hub is rubbing against the metal of lower control arm instead of rubbing agains the plastick.

Two things you can do IF THAT"S THE PROBLEM (could be bearings you never know) u have.

1. Put some grease in that location might solve it temporary
2. Simply buy another nipple:D

ART

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
But mine clunks all the way thru the wheels travel, not just at the limit....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts