Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle is a 1989 MK3 turbo 5 spd. I am ordering a new clutch and flywheel today or tomorrow. A new OEM clutch kit with pressure plate, release and pilot bearings from local dealer is $383 shop price. The flywheel is $450. I can get a new Fidanza lightweight flywheel for $330. I was I should stick to a OEM flywheel since the clutch kit is OEM because I may burn the clutch out pre-maturely. How true is this. Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stock with 3" turbo back exhaust and boost controller. I leave the car around 14 psi max at all times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Light weight fly wheel is a nice upgrade. It will cause you to boost a bit sonner, which is nice. You shouldn't hurt the clutch by doing this upgrade, dumping clutch or over reving on release will be the type of thing that would hurt the clutch.

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,292 Posts
Rotating mass is the object here!! you go with a lighter fly wheel you lose rotating mass on the crank which can reduce the amount of torque that will reach the wheels. The best and cheapest route that worked for me when mine went was the F1 Racing Stage 3 clutch off ebay.
It was an amazing clutch and lasted a good 20,000 Miles of me beating the piss out of it before i gave it to someone with a 7M and R154 in their crawler. Get your flywheel resurfaced and try the F1 clutch, Put the extra money into the slave cylinder and maybe a new master for better shifts, If you wanna get fancy try the SS braided clutch line from Dirft motion.

I think with taxes and all after i did my clutch it was less than $300 and I did all the work myself (it's not too tough to do)

·
Registered
998 Posts
^^wow cool! thanks for that saved me some money..haha

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,292 Posts
It's a wicked clutch man, Make sure all the bearings you put in it (release and pilot) and OEM from toyota. Then your pretty much set.

·
Registered
998 Posts
so dont use the bearings that come with it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts