Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, as in today, I noticed that my car would make a loud clanking/chatter noise while in neutral. When i press in the clutch pedal it goes away, only to return when i am at a stop/neutral. I googled such symptons and came it seems that the throw out bearing could be the cause. Is this what the TSRM calls the release bearing? Is this different from the thrust washer that seems to crap out in our transmissions?

To recapitulate, what is causing such a problem, or help me narrow it down? How long can I go with out fixing it, because my clutch has only 1500 miles on it! Anything else that could cause such noise while in neutral?

Thanks.

·
2JZ swapped!
879 Posts
Stock clutch? Performance clutch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
sounds like a throw out bearing to me as well.. I've been through this same situation more than I would like.... not to bad of a fix...

You can drive with it for a LITTLE while.. I wouldent over do it though.. def get it fixes as soon as you can though.

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this repair is practically like re-installing my clutch all over again? Will I need to get new flywheel bolts and a rear seal? What else would I need to fix while the tranny case is dropped? The only time I want to deal with the tranny is for clutch installs and I never want to deal with it otherwise. I will not be doing this fix myself, so I would like any advice for any preventative maintenance that my mechanic friend can take care of once and for all.

thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts