Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since doing my single turbo(PTE67) conversion I haven't had the time to switch the clutch. I am now looking for opinions on different clutches. I was looking into Southbend clutches and was wondering if anyone could give feedback as to which line of theres might be good for my application. I also plan on retaining the stock flywheel, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
The best one they have. >>>>>> DXD-F. Uses a TRD pressure plate with six puck faramic disk.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Get the southbend 2800lb pressure plate with the kevlar full disc.It's a very drivable disc for daily driver.

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,919 Posts
HPF Feramic with ACT pressure plate and I also use the stock flywheel. Great overall setup!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
right now i run the dxd-f from SB and i'm very disappointed in this clutch. after andy over at SB assured me this would hold; it's slips all to hell. this is on my 67mm turbo @ 500rwhp (21psi of boost)

hell my best time on this clutch is a [email protected] cause the slippage is so bad.

·
Old School
4,124 Posts
malloynx said:
right now i run the dxd-f from SB and i'm very disappointed in this clutch. after andy over at SB assured me this would hold; it's slips all to hell. this is on my 67mm turbo @ 500rwhp (21psi of boost)

hell my best time on this clutch is a [email protected] cause the slippage is so bad.
That's surprising. I have the full-faced TZ kevlar disc with stock flywheel and SB's pressure plate, a milder setup than yours. I think I installed it in 2002.

It never slipped with stock twins at 481 rwt/457 rwhp, I ran high 11's ([email protected]) with it, and it's now holding up to my PHR stage 1 at 1.5 bar.

I'd buy another SB clutch in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
malloynx said:

I am suprised as well. I have the SB DXD-F with the 6 puck ferramic and I love the clutch. I had a T66 and it put down over 550rwp and it had no problem holding it. Although I have never dragged raced the car. This is not a clutch that is going to take 6000rpm launches when u are raping the clutch. But as far as street rolls and highway runs, it will have no problem holding the power. If yours is slipping at 500whp and from highway runs, then there is a clutch or install issue.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
I had a problem early on with my SB DXD - it slipped like crazy the first time I took it to the road racing course. After I toook it apart and sent it back for inspection with the flywheel , I was told that the rivet pattern for the Supra disc is the same as for the Tundra, and they had apparently put the wrong one. They then resurfaced the flywheel and replaced the rest of the clutch - at no cost, of course.

You might want to consider this possibility for your failure.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
malloynx said:

It's the same thing that happened to me and a friend of mind,so i call Andy and he replaced it with a 2800lb pressure plate and a new kevlar disc.So far no problem.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Lagtime said:
That's surprising. I have the full-faced TZ kevlar disc with stock flywheel and SB's pressure plate, a milder setup than yours. I think I installed it in 2002.

It never slipped with stock twins at 481 rwt/457 rwhp, I ran high 11's ([email protected]) with it, and it's now holding up to my PHR stage 1 at 1.5 bar.

I'd buy another SB clutch in a heartbeat.
It is prefect for the stock twins.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You always think you have the perfect clutch until it starts slipping.

The Spec clutch I had was rated for 765ft/lbs torque. It felt great and seemed to hold the power fine. My car has never been down a drag strip or around a road course. It is a 650rwhp grocery getter :) The clutch lasted 5k miles then started slipping. Spec told me they'd upgrade the clutch components for free. Well, what about labor, it's a total pain in the ass to replace the clutch.

I declined their offer and went with an RPS C/C chromoloy flywheel. I never want to have to deal with a clutch replacement again.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
StokerSix said:
You always think you have the perfect clutch until it starts slipping.

The Spec clutch I had was rated for 765ft/lbs torque. It felt great and seemed to hold the power fine. My car has never been down a drag strip or around a road course. It is a 650rwhp grocery getter :) The clutch lasted 5k miles then started slipping. Spec told me they'd upgrade the clutch components for free. Well, what about labor, it's a total pain in the ass to replace the clutch.

I declined their offer and went with an RPS C/C chromoloy flywheel. I never want to have to deal with a clutch replacement again.

+1 RPS carbon/carbon. I know it is pricey but will pay for itself after going through countless single disc clutches. It is reabuildable for 400 bucks.

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I will be using a small single and looking at the..

"TZ Series
Stage 2"

My guess is it comes with PP too for the price of $565?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Boostrush said:
HPF Feramic with ACT pressure plate and I also use the stock flywheel. Great overall setup!!

good choice. :sadance:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
well after futher investigation i think the SB might be alright. basically i had 0 freeplay i think maybe the PP was not fully engaged. the clutch really never slipped from highway rolls; however all my problems were noted at the track

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and purchased the OFE series clutch. I talked to one of their tech guys and we came to the conclusion that this would be the best bet for my setup and use. I have no intentions of using my car drag racing or road track use, furthermore my car only will be driven around 1k miles a year. I will keep you guys up to date as to how well the setup works for me.

Thanks for all your guys help,
Dave

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i have had no problems with the SB clutch. i think you made a good choice

1 - 20 of 27 Posts