Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 563 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have searched many times and the forums keeps messing up and showing blank white pages (already reported by other members here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501894)

First off I want to go ahead and ask you guys who are running RPS clutches (non C/C) if you are aware of any issues on your personal car? I know the Carbon-Carbon is known to destroy some bellhousings in it's time. I am almost afraid of going with an RPS clutch due to the horror stories that have recently been popping up.... which now confuses me.

What clutches are you guys running that are making anywhere from the 700-900 range, how many miles on the clutch setup, and last and foremost do you daily drive the car? On some weeks I get happy and daily my car to and from work and sometimes even take it out on 600 mile road trips.

I personally do not like the on/off feel of a clutch. Looking for something smooth and reliable for the type of driving that I do (daily/trips). Thank you guys ahead of time.

Kirk

·
Drives A Slow Supra
370 Posts
I too would like to get some input on this as I am also trying to stay away from the rps c/c

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
thid this.. i want to see someone who has used the Carbonetic C/C clutch., tilton is a tad too expensive for my likings

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
I have a horse power freaks freamic, is great if your an amazing driver, if not its jerk city
+1

Also have the HPF Feramic setup with ACT pressure plate and although it is streetable and DOES hold the power, it is a bit rough. Great clutch for the money though! My .02

Car has trapped 138 in the 1/4 and this clutch has been in the car for 3 years now and roughly 4000 miles. :lol:

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to find something a little more on the smooth side :) Either way I will check out the specs on the HPF clutch right now.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Kirk. You may want to look into the OS Giken quadruple plate. I spoke to Ken Henderson and a couple others about it. They all had nothing but good to say about it. Fairly priced from what I heard as well

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
+1

Also have the HPF Feramic setup with ACT pressure plate and although it is streetable and DOES hold the power, it is a bit rough. Great clutch for the money though! My .02

Car has trapped 138 in the 1/4 and this clutch has been in the car for 3 years now and roughly 4000 miles. :lol:

Yeh them RPS C/C stories are enough to scare me away as well :hay:

Looking at HPF Feramic Clutch, price def. seems the cheapest to hold a Big Single "This is the highest horsepower holding (and record holding 9.68 @ 152mph pass) single disk clutch available for the MKIV Supra. This single disk clutch has held over 1000rwhp Supras with ease has never been fused and has superior longevity."

wonder if all that is true ^

also has anyone used the OS Giken R Type Quadruple Disk ($2400) or Triple Disk? and your experience w/ it compared to others

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much power does the OS Giken R Type Quadruple Disk hold??? It does not state on HPF's website. Price is not bad

·
Registered
812 Posts
We've been putting OS Giken clutches in high HP 3s's recently. The build quality is very, very good. THey are also seriously underrated on purpose, fwiw.

Ian

·
Registered
378 Posts
rps c/c clutch is a strapless billet piece now. I have used it for over 4 months now and its amaizing!

My old c/c was fine as well, its all in how you drive

but you can be sure the new c/c is the best for the money, go to rps website, and it tells all about the new design

·
Boost Addict
801 Posts
Any single puck clutch has the possibility of fusing to the flywheel if your doing serious drag racing, pass after pass. Pedal pressure will always be very high as the pressure plates are ground down to get more clamping force for the single disk setup. I have an RPS Stage 3 in my car, fidanza wheel. It holds the power no problem at all but I dont drag race, mostly street driving. It works and its relatively cheap, no issues other than possible fusing and a very heavy pedal.

If I were to go with another clutch setup it would be the Tilton, period. There is no other clutch out there with the same capabilities, record and light as hell pedal pressure (other than stock ;)). Im sorry, but if Im going to pay 3k for a clutch, it better stand up to WHATEVER I throw at it, if it doesn't I cannot see the justification in spending 3k on an inferior product. Cough cough... rps cc... cough cough.

IF/When my current RPS goes, a Tilton will be going in next...

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
in for more info on the os giken quad clutch... i think thats what ken h runs in his 1100whp car but then again he doesnt drag race so who knows how long it will hold under those conditions?

·
Always Garaged
808 Posts
I currently have the Exedy triple on my car (Got it that way) and it is very hard for me to get the car moving without trying to over-rev (Only had my car for a week now) with ~950WHP. I did however have the OS Giken twin on my Stealth TT and I liked it. Held the power and could easily be slipped and was very easy to operate. I know it's not enough information for what we are looking for as far as the Supra goes, but I like their product FWIW. Chris.

1 - 20 of 563 Posts
About this Discussion
562 Replies
264 Participants
Halon
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing