Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any clutch that is comparable to TRD Single Disk clutch? I'm currently using that clutch with OEM flywheel and been happy with it all around, expcept just found out that TRD discotinued it. My car produced approx. 450rwhp.

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Old School
4,111 Posts
South Bend TZ disc w/stock flywheel and the SB pressure plate.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I have the Southbend DXD-F clutch with oem flywheel and its wonderful. I am told it will hold upto 650rwhp fine. Feel is very like stock.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
97supertt said:
Budget is cap at $1k for the clutch only.

Do you have a new flywheel? Your old stock flywheel will not be able to be turned and that will run you about 500-525 for a new one. I can agree with what is posted above about the SB Feramic clutch.

I just replaced mine last week and went with the RPS carbon/carbon and love it. While a bit more expensive, I can have it rebuilt for 400 bucks when it wears and will already be ready to add more power when I upgrade the fuel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
alpha6164 said:
I have the Southbend DXD-F clutch with oem flywheel and its wonderful. I am told it will hold upto 650rwhp fine. Feel is very like stock.

Lagtime said:
South Bend TZ disc w/stock flywheel and the SB pressure plate.

whats are the differences between the SB DXD-F and the SB TZ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big Daddy said:
Do you have a new flywheel? Your old stock flywheel will not be able to be turned and that will run you about 500-525 for a new one. I can agree with what is posted above about the SB Feramic clutch.

I just replaced mine last week and went with the RPS carbon/carbon and love it. While a bit more expensive, I can have it rebuilt for 400 bucks when it wears and will already be ready to add more power when I upgrade the fuel.
First of all Thanks Big Daddy,

I do need a new flywheel. So what does your clutch job cost you just parts, clutch, flywheel etc?

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
TO do a clutch correctly you need to do the following. I personally like the RPS Stage 3 Clutch with the amount of power you have now, it will handle a decent amount more power also.

1. Clutch Disc
2. Pressure Plate
3. Flywheel (either resurfaced (Not OEM) or rebuild)
4. New Flywheel bolts
5. Throw Out Bearing
6. Pilot Bearing
7. Small Snap Ring
8. Large Snap Ring

·
Registered
967 Posts
^^^Well the rps stage 3 will hold quite a bit more power than that wont it? If the rps stage 1 street kit will hold 450hp with hp to spare, it is a decent kit as well.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
89MKIIIT said:
I went with the Horsepowerfreaks Feramic. Been great so far.
Same here.. although it may be overkill if you're not planning on more than 450rwhp.

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Yes it is supposed to handle around 800 or so.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
97supertt said:
First of all Thanks Big Daddy,

I do need a new flywheel. So what does your clutch job cost you just parts, clutch, flywheel etc?

My previous clutch was an RPS stage 3 with stock flywheel and unsprung disc. While I liked it, it is not a daily driver friendly clutch. It all depends on how much you drive your car and what you do with it. When new, it is pretty hard to get used to since you are used to a full face trd disc. The stage 3 also gets really mixed reviews on reliability and longevity. Mine lasted about 25k miles with heavy driving. My car is not my daily driver so most of the time it was out and about cruising or drag racing.

I can already tell you that the week I had the RPS c/c in, I love it. For a twin disc, it engages much smoother than the RPS stage 3 and it doesnt chatter like a john deere. The pedal feel is even lighter than the stage 3 and it will hold much more power and wears better due to the carbon. The C/C comes with everything you need such as bolts, flywheel, tob, pilot bearing, etc. I plan on keeping my car for a long time and have already been through 3 clutches in 7 years and I liked the rebuildable factor of the C/C for 400 bucks.

A single disc clutch with stock flywheel and all needed hardware will usually run you anywhere from 1100-1300 depending on the model you choose.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big Daddy,

It sound like the RPS -c/c is really a good clutch. How is the car feel and sound in idle?

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Big Daddy said:
My previous clutch was an RPS stage 3 with stock flywheel and unsprung disc. While I liked it, it is not a daily driver friendly clutch. It all depends on how much you drive your car and what you do with it. When new, it is pretty hard to get used to since you are used to a full face trd disc. The stage 3 also gets really mixed reviews on reliability and longevity. Mine lasted about 25k miles with heavy driving. My car is not my daily driver so most of the time it was out and about cruising or drag racing.

I can already tell you that the week I had the RPS c/c in, I love it. For a twin disc, it engages much smoother than the RPS stage 3 and it doesnt chatter like a john deere. The pedal feel is even lighter than the stage 3 and it will hold much more power and wears better due to the carbon. The C/C comes with everything you need such as bolts, flywheel, tob, pilot bearing, etc. I plan on keeping my car for a long time and have already been through 3 clutches in 7 years and I liked the rebuildable factor of the C/C for 400 bucks.

A single disc clutch with stock flywheel and all needed hardware will usually run you anywhere from 1100-1300 depending on the model you choose.

I agree with this 100%, it all depends on your budget though and how long you plan on keeping the car.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
97supertt said:
Big Daddy,

It sound like the RPS -c/c is really a good clutch. How is the car feel and sound in idle?

I hear no chattering at idle. I can take off from a stop light at abourt 1000-1100 rpms without feeling like the car is going to shake apart like the stage 3 did. The pedal pressure is much better and you dont have to rev match when down shifting. The stage 3 would rattle the hell out of my trann if I downshifted with the rpms too high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts