Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all what are the symtoms of your clutch going? This is what is going on with me:

I get on the gas and at about 2500 - 3500 the RPMS shoot up with no real power, then bog down to about 2700 and power begins. Now the strange thing about this is that it happened right after I put in my BOV. But there is nothing in that system that could make this sort of stuff happen. So I am asking you guys... Whats the deal? What do you think. I JUST went BPU, and do hammer on it a bit... Is it the clutch or something more sinister?

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
What you described could well be a slipping clutch. Do you notice it more in the higher or lower gears? Basically, you should experience it under high load conditions at first (going uphill, etc.). As far as your BOV, I have no idea if that could lead to a problem like this.

Steve T.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my clutch is slipping horribly at the moment (still waiting on the new one to arrive...) and what you're describing sounds a bit like a bad clutch... One way you'll know for sure though is the smell. I recently met up with some friends and before I even got out of my car they were saying "damn what's that smell???" it's sorta like rotten eggs... try not to pick up any chicks if your clutch is bad.. they'll think you're farting and then blaming it on some car stuff that they don't understand :D

-R

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey misery enjoys company-
i let a few people drive my car kast weekend and ever since my clutch is slipping. At least I'm hoping its my clutch - because tranny problems are a whole different nightmare. In any case-I have definitely noticed the smell- especially if i shift into fifth. Can anyone explain what tranny failure feels like? What are the signs- will riding on a toasted clutch hurt the tranny?
I'll let you huys know the outcome of getting a new TRD clutch and OEM flywheel next week.

DC

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well

I was told that when you go BPU that the stock clutch will not hold. I am thinking that this is why my car is slipping now. It has some big HP, and now the clutch is starting to go. I do have to say that the clutch in this car has 25K of hard miles on it. I really just hope that it is not tranny problems.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i feel you on the tranny issues- I was told look at the overflow tranny fluid tank under the hood- i fucked up tranny will have little metal bits floating around-not sure if the metal bits would sing though- probably- forget that i'm retarded

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Absolutely right that the stock clutch will not be able to withstand true BPU power levels for too long, especially if the clutch is already aged and you drive it pretty hard. A clutch upgrade should be considered mandatory (or at least expected) at BPU and beyond on a 6 speed car. Good luck. :)

Steve T.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rotten egg smell is an exhaust/emissions problem, not from a shot clutch. Usually means a cat is performing bad.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

Thanks Steve! Off to get a new clutch and lightened fly wheel! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts