Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clutch Gone on MA70 (1G-GTE)

I was out earlier tonight at the local Jap meet .. i pulled out of the carpark on to the dual carrageway and accelerated ..went to change up into second and there was a loud clunk and it wouldent shift.. i pulled over and tride to re-engage the box but it still wouldent shift..then suddenly there was another clunk and the box became free again but the clutch became spongey and it now slips verv badly..any ideas? .. im in the Uk and if i need a now clutch i would have no idea where to get one as it's a 2.0l tt (1g-gte) and how much of a hassle is removing the box to get to the clutch if it has failed? im on a very limited budget so its going to be a home diy job :(

Thanks for any replys guys

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
drjonez said:
no idea. most of the guys here are in the US....we never got the 1G. what trans is that anyway? i'm curious....
Bet you a nickel that it is a W58.

Anyhow, i'm a bit of a neophyte for when it comes to this.. but could this be pressure plate failure?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
drjonez said:
yeah, i would guess W58 too. was there a vehicle that toyo made that DIDN'T get it? ;)

yeah, i'd guess that or shift fork or slave...
LOL, yeah the W58 was popular. Real good tranny. That's what my AE86's gonna get.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah its called the Landcruiser, prolly the most overbuilt rig from the factory, it and the front wheel drive toyos are prolly the only ones to not get a W58 at some point. I know the toyota trucks and 4 runners had em at some point, sorry for sounding bad about W58's but im mad at mine right now, it sorta exploded lol.

·
Mmmmm Tub girl.....
406 Posts
is the 1g-gte the 2.0L twin turbo job?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Madghost said:
is the 1g-gte the 2.0L twin turbo job?
Yup

it and the front wheel drive toyos are prolly the only ones to not get a W58 at some point
Nah, the Corolla's never had 'em.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i think we can say its a complete pressure plate faliure......i tried to coax the car to a friends last night and it sounded like someone had put a bag ful of nails inside the bell housing right before i lost all drive .. now it will go into any gear without the need for the clutch :(.

How do i find what Box it has .. if it is a common box will that mean the clutch is common too ?

Thanks for all the help guys :)

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
there should be a plate on the firewall that lists all the specs of your car (in toyo code) look for "W58" or "R154" or something on it....i know it lists trans and diff info there....

·
Registered
762 Posts
Darket69, check out the UK Mk3 owners forums at www.mkiiisupra.net/bbs. It's still pretty small but there are at least two 1G-GTE owners on there who should be able to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts