Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today some guys at a muffler shop where making fun of me for trying to get some 3 inch exhaust flanges from them, since they said it would kill my cars power not enough backpressure. Anyway when I was leaving my clutch just totally grabbed early and nearly stalled the car and it just keeps randomly doing that when its warm outside. Any ideas what would make it just fully grab when I'am coming from a stop?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
No. But upgrading from 2.5" exhaust to 3" exhaust will yeild more noticeable power than 2.5". A number of us including myself have upgraded from 2.5" to 3" and love it, MUCH more than our old 2.5".

BTW try adjusting your clutch pedal. I adjusted mine today and not even a full inch made a world of a difference. I made it engage and disengage barely after it leaves the floor. Has to be all the way on the floor to go in gears. This will help eliminate mis-shifts, slow shifting, and bucking it a tiny bit from take offs in the morning when my feet are still asleep.

If u burn through the clutch, the next few number of uses (Changing gears, taking off, taking out of gear, etc.) will feel quite different. Make sure ur keeping the rpms as steady as possible and not going over :dunno:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you running a stock clutch? I had a major case of this problem after getting my 6-puck ceramic installed..

The muffler shop guys told me the same thing when I brought in a pic of the MKIII undercarriage and told them I want the exhaust from turbo to muffler, straight 3"...
They shit themselves: "3 inch! That's completely unneccesary!"

They must not have been familiar with the concept of turbine pressure differential...
And in a way.. I think I'm happier with the RT/SS Catback setup anyway. No quality issues to worry about...

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My shifting is very smooth and going from gear to gear I have it almost dead on the rpm for the next gear and when leaving from a stop is why I am confused, its a new stock clutch with maybe 2000 miles on it.

As for the dorks at the muffler place I argued with them for a little while but I saw it was useless, especially after they said they installed a 3 inch on a WRX which they said totally killed the power. Even though my experience with an open downpipe was quite enjoyable. He said that turbos put zero backpressure on the motor, I am was just thinking wtf, and I left and thats when I looked like I didnt know how to drive a stick when I nearly stalled it.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
When I picked up my car after it getting fixed from a local shop, I didn't realize they left the car in first. Started the car, let out the clutch, KA-KA KA-KA. Ringring Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :sadwavey: Felt like a fucking retard. But I went back today and showed them whatsup with my new setup :D They were the ones that adjusted my clutch pedal too, I got under the dash and watched.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh Man! After getting my windows tinted while the car was still in the garage I started it up, lurched forward and bumped into their wall after they left it in 1st for me... Embarassing??
Yes...

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
haha, dumb muffler shop boys. maybe the 3inch killed the power because its a 2.0 liter? but this is a real engine :p 3.0liter straight 6. Cant get much more manlier than that haha. ^ lol, i did it when i was getting snow tires once. at first they didnt think i was old enough to drive. lol i still dont really look old enough :lol: and when i was pulling out, they were all watching lol and i felt pressured and i stalled in trying to take off on a little hill. lol my foot got stuck on the mat, and i was in second. i felt pretty dumb after that. lol ive done pretty close to the same thing. i was in a hurry to go, so i was backing out and forgot i was in first gear, im sure i remembered putting it in reverse when i left, but i started letting off the clutch and found myself moving forward :sadwavey: lol good thing the car infront of me parked like 5ft away

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Yea, same shop. First week with the car/5spd. Backing up into a spot, I hit a car in front of me. Yes. Backing up. Hit a car in front of me. Didn't stall the car (Till after I hit it). Nobody told me I had to look in all 4 directions while backing up :dunno:

So far they saw:
I hit a car
I stalled my car
I modded my car :)

I must be improving in their eyes muahahaha. BTW I love my new clutch feel, I got it almost even to the brake pedal and it just changes the whole feel of the car.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will give it a try, I burnt up my first clutch that I put in because I had to little freeplay so adjusted it way out for my next one, I will try putting it closer in.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
You NEED slight freeplay in the clutch pedal. That way it can fully disengage. If the pedal has no freeplay, it's like driving around town all day for months with ur clutch not all the way disengaged. Twigger my pedal currently has maybe 1/2-1 inch of freeplay from the top. Releasing from the floor it maybe has 1-1.5 inches until the car tries to learch forward and the RPMs reach 500 (On operating temp). Like this the pedal has to be all the way to the floor to change the gears, and the freeplay is minimal. The pedal is about .75-1 inches above the brake pedal, and that seems to sit it well. Our pedals (Or so I've been told) are known for going (From highest to lowest) clutch, brake, gas, unlike many other cars where the clutch and brake are completely even, and the gas is lower. Hope this helped, good luck :bigthumb:

·
Registered
520 Posts
every time i take my car anywhere after they are done doing whatever, when they turn off the car the and dont know what a turbo timer is and when the turbo timer comes on and they put it in first gear and then let the clutch out and stall it, so they are the ones that look stupid. so after seeing this a few times i have to try to remember to turn the turbo timer off.

G

·
Changing the pedal height shouldn't change you catch point correct? Unless you are talking about the adjusting the length of the master cylinder "arm/rod". When changing my lutch master cylinder, I remember there being two adjustments.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I see no reason for the pedal to have that much freeplay. I just adjusted mine (clutch and brake), heres what I did:

Removed return springs
Pushed pedal until any hydraulic resistance was felt
Then adjusted screw until pedal had no play

I dont see why it needs the freeplay, I bet the amount of 'preload' on my pedals isnt even enough to move the clutch / brake from their rest postions.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Well you want freeplay to be sure the clutch is fully disengaged with the pedal all the way out, and that the clutch is fully engaged when the clutch is all the way in. If you made it exactly from the top and bottom, you may be burning through your clutch all day everyday just by driving around.

What you said could be done without any problems, although freeplay is recommended to be sure.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
True, only reason I did it is because I wouldnt mind adjusting it in the future. I took it for a drive and it rocks though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts