Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious about the best bang for the buck clutch on the market right now. im looking to buy one asap and arond the 300-500 dollar area...... ill be around 300hp to the wheels dont know torque but i figure somewhere around there.....need to get it dynod obviously.

neways my goal with the car is around 450hp to the wheels......so i kinda would like something that will hold that in the future as well but the best bang for the buck is the idea right now........cause i dont have much money extra to spend...

i was looking at a deal with a spec stage 3 clutch but i think it fell through :( ........sooo now i have to worry about the full price factors again.....

opinions? places to get the named clutch cheap? thanks guys!

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
RPS makes nice stuff. ACT's pressure plate is pretty good too. You could get the ACT HD pressure plate and then find a local clutch or driveline place there in Tampa and get them to build you a 6 puck ceramic damped disc with a new throwout bearing and pilot bearing. You'll get a disc that's just as good as any other and save some money while you're at it.

... Or you could spend $485 and get the RPS. Just do yourself a favor and get a damped or sprung disc... Don't get the unsprung disc... you'd regret that and so would your tranny.

- Hams.

G

·
i was gonna look into getting the spec stage 2, it has a pretty high torque rating, and it should have a long life with stock feel

my goals are about 400 hp, but that probably wont be for atleast 2 years, so i might need to replace the clutch liek a year or so after that

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeahi was gonna get the spec stage 3 but the eal fell through so now im kinda running around trying to get a clutch in time for my car.....

this is what im thinking of ordering tomorrow..... http://www.titanmotorsports.com/rpssporcluts.html

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thermactor said:
hehehe....yeah i know dr jonez likes spec....errr LOVES spec....lol

but i dont think mvp could get the spec clutch out to me in time....without charging me an arm and a leg for 2nd day air or overnight or whatever....whereas titan is an hour and a half away and they can have it to me next day for normal shipping....... :(

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
I'm a SPEC kind of guy personally, they came HIGHLY recommended by some very knowledgable supra-dudes

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
For what it's worth not to discourage you, but I am now taking out my 6 Puck disk, and replacing with stock one but leaving the Stage 3 Pressure Plate. It was way to harsh off the start and when you downshift if you don't rev match the whole car vibrates. I have a one piece driveshaft so I can't imagine the damage the chattering does to the Carrier Bearing on a stock one. Just my 2 cents from experience.

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
87SilverSupraTurbo said:
For what it's worth not to discourage you, but I am now taking out my 6 Puck disk, and replacing with stock one but leaving the Stage 3 Pressure Plate. It was way to harsh off the start and when you downshift if you don't rev match the whole car vibrates. I have a one piece driveshaft so I can't imagine the damage the chattering does to the Carrier Bearing on a stock one. Just my 2 cents from experience.
are you talkin bout the spec stage 3?

and does anyone have anything positive to cmment about the rps?? or negative for that matter.......specifics...... :Dunno:

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
im running an act hd pressure plate and a 6 puck... it was a little harsh at first but seems to break in pretty good...was barkin fourth at the track until it broke in lol...

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
I had a rps for 2 years. High pressure plate with stock disk. It never failed. When I pulled the motor the last time, I found that the rivets on the stock disk had loosened and stretched. They would have popped leaving me stranded if I had tried out the bfg drag radials.

Replaced it with the SPEC stage 3. Never gave it a full throtle high boost beating yet as I knocked the engine (full of oil). But it's alot grabier and seemed to break in quit nicely becoming more drivable day to day.
Spec all the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts