Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally removed the 5spd parts from the parts car this weekend. This was the first time I've removed a transmission with the engine still in the car and it took quite a bit longer than I anticipated (mostly because I figured the transmission could slip out without the clutch like it does with the W58). After a few hours of straining trying to wiggle the transmisison off (a transmission jack would have been so nice), I gave up and consulted the TSRM. Lo and behold they want you to disconnect the pressure plate and pull it and the clutch disc out with the transmission -- much easier.

Anyway, if anyone has any hints or tips on installing the clutch/transmission I'm all ears. The hardest part of the 5spd swap so far was removing the pedals from the parts car and I imagine installing them will be just as much of a pain

-a very, very sore Jeff

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
use a jack, and towels to lift it into place, it is very heavy, it helps to have someone put in the top housing bolts, and make SURE you dont put a hard load on you input shaft, (as you quide it into the piolet berring)

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I like to raise the front of the motor slightly as well. At least get it leaning back on the mounts to help you line it up with te dowel pins. A bottle jack on the front works well for this.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Having a strong friend help you is the easiest way to go. You'll have to hold up the transmission for some time while you wiggle it around trying to get the input shaft to slide in. I always put a jack on the tranny mount center so I can wiggle the tranny and it won't fall, also it will hold a bit of the weight.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
lube up the input shaft, make sure the front of the engine is jacked up. It's always just slid right in for me. Never did it on the ground though. Having a lift makes things like that WAY easier :)

BTW, Yesterday I did a clutch on an AllTrack Corola..... now that's a PITA! if you ever need to do one.... throw the car out, not worth it!

·
0 Posts
swapping the pedals isnt actually hard to do. i did clutch pedal and swapped out the brake pedal onto my N/a from the 5 speed parts car. easier then i thought it was

·
2,279 Posts
The hardest part of the 5spd swap so far was removing the pedals from the parts car and I imagine installing them will be just as much of a pain
swapping the pedals isnt actually hard to do. i did clutch pedal and swapped out the brake pedal onto my N/a from the 5 speed parts car. easier then i thought it was
Holy crap man, I gave up on installing the new brake pedal assembly. The clutch pedal was fine. I'm just going to cut the existing brake pad. Both version assemblies are welded in the same place anyways, so it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clutch pedal was much easier after I removed the super monitor computer. I just removed the brake pedal lever -- not the whole assembly -- and that made it easier. Since the Super monitor was coming out of this car, I removed the instrument cluster first. This proved to be very helpful as the upper brake lever bolt was easily accessable through the new hole in the dash.

I will definitely try to raist the front of the engine -- seems like it could make things much easier to line up than to peer through the inspection hole trying to see whether it needs to go up/down

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
Ok so you guys say its easy to get the tranny out if you remove the pressure plate and take it off with the transmission, But i am putting an R154 in place of my w58, i just got my new spec 3 in today, and im going to install the tranny tomorrow.

Can i just put the pressure plate/disk on and then put the tranny in place? Or did i have to do it like you guys say to take it out (hold the tranny in place while bolting the PP on?)

So why couldnt you just pull the tranny without disconnecting the PP? Also how does the Throwout bearing work with the "pull" type, (my tranny comes frieght tomorrow so i havnt been able to examine how it works)

·
Registered
449 Posts
when i did mine.....i jus put the pp and the clutch right on the input spline......lubed up the tip...and slid the damn thing right in.....i'm lucky i can bench 415 or otherwise i bet it would be hard to get he fugger to align....
a friend and i turned the crank as i went around and torqued down the bolts.......i messed around with the damn tranny for like 5 hours tryin to get it in with the pp and clutch already instaled.....it's hard as fugg...so don't do it.....you will save many hairs and eazzzz the ears of your neighbors......
good luck man
bubs

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Yup, it is sooooo much easier to just throw the release bearing, pressure plate and disc onto the input shaft, bolt up the transmission then bolt up the pressure plate. No wiggling/cursing/prying/aligning etc...

The R-154 transmission will not come off the engine unless you either unbolt the pressure plate or remove the clutch fork. The fork is attached to the release bearing (wich is snap ringed to the pressure plate) and the transmission housing so, it isn't going to come apart unless you do one or the other.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
The hardest part of the 5spd swap so far was removing the pedals from the parts car and I imagine installing them will be just as much of a pain...
As mentioned already, and as you've done already... to ease my pain with the pedal swapping, was simply remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. Fuck it was nice! Could'of almost fell asleep. lolz

Patrick

On another note... just got the $92.00 is parts for my tranny assembly (everything on page http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/cl/CL_11.html for the r154 minus the FW, clutch, pilot and clutch release bearing). During my swap parts search, the r154 I brought home didn't have any of that. still gotta great deal on it so it all works out.

Looking forward to bolting the tranny up for good too...

·
Registered
163 Posts
i'm putting clutch in and i have a little play in my input shaft on my transmission... is this a big deal?

·
Registered
400 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Yup, it is sooooo much easier to just throw the release bearing, pressure plate and disc onto the input shaft, bolt up the transmission then bolt up the pressure plate. No wiggling/cursing/prying/aligning etc...

The R-154 transmission will not come off the engine unless you either unbolt the pressure plate or remove the clutch fork. The fork is attached to the release bearing (wich is snap ringed to the pressure plate) and the transmission housing so, it isn't going to come apart unless you do one or the other.
i just got my 5spd conversion kit and wanted to know
how you put in the release bearing, cause there are three
rings already there including the snap ring, so where do you
install the pressure plate???
also there is no clips the hold the fork to the bearing right???
cause i dont see any evidence of them???
thanks
g

1 - 15 of 15 Posts