Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, doing a clutch install this weekend.

What else will I require

I got hte clutch/ maachineed flywheel
Throw out bearing
removal tool

Do I need to replace the pilot bearing (in the input shaft?)
Flywheel bolts?

Anything else?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
You should be covered. When I helped my friend do his, the machine shop pressed the pilot bearing out, so if that is the same in your case, you will also need a pilot bearing. If one didnt come with the clutch, they should only be ~11 dollars from the parts store.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I must have mixed up the bearings. The clutch shop did supply me with a bearing, but there is another one right?

Jeff

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your slave is in good condition then your covered. The hard part of changing a Supra clutch is getting to the upper bell housing bolts. Have you done a Supra before or even watched someone else do it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

It was my first time removing the tranny/clutch....will be my first time installing.

I just ordered all possible bearings and bolts (flywheel) from toyota....so I'm covered.

The 6 puck clutch disc looks pretty cool :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You also are really going to need an alignment too to seat the clutch properly between the flywheel and the pressure pressure plate, so that the input shaft moves a little smoother onto the clutch during reassembly.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
The best list I can come up with is:

1. Alignment tool
2. Throwout bearing
3. Pilot bearing
4. Rear main seal (I'll explain why in a minute)
5. Flywheel bolts if current ones are not perfect

The rear main seal is all of about 3 bucks from Toyota and the tranny has to be out to replace it. It is a common leak area for lots of cars and you would have to pull the tranny AGAIN if it went out. So while you are in there, you may as well replace it.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Well you don't say if you're turbo or N/A, that actually makes a pretty big difference. On the turbo you do not need an alignment tool, on the N/A you can get by without one but they can be handy. Also I wouldn't touch the pilot bearing unless it was bad, they are a mofugger to replace. Just spin the inside of it and if it spins smoothly it is still good.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
A tip on reinstalation: Have a friend push back on the engine hard. It will cause the engine to come down a little in the back and make it a whole lot eaiser to slide the tranny on (talking about the W58 here, im assuming it will help on the R154 as well).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts